The Original Classic Kahlua Pecan Pie

Classic Kahlua Pecan PieHeavenly Kahlua Pecan Pie and I go way back. Kahlua was my favorite PR client.  Life Was Sweet. The majority of my Kahlua work was convincing consumers to make something yummy. Our goal was to remind people how MMMMM and OOOOH Kahlua tasted in practically anything – booze, coffee, milk, ice cream, cakes, barbecue sauce, ham glaze, and of course PIE.

WIN THE CLASSIC KAHLUA RECIPE BOOK HERE  (if you enter by Nov. 5, 2014)

Back then, the ad agency produced a now-legendary little Kahlua recipe book, and bazillions were distributed free via snail mail or at events (write a comment below and tell me if you have one!). One of the classics: the incredible Kahlua Pecan Pie.

If you love pecan pie, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE Kahlua Pecan Pie. Always garners rave reviews. It is a handy recipe, and one that I made often for Kahlua activities. I’ve even carried one on a flight from LA to a meeting in CT. Larry has completely mastered this recipe, he is the pie maker now, and we get requests for it during the holidays. Larry is known for PIE.

Original Classic Kahlua Pecan Pie

• Pastry crust
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Kahlua
  • 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup whole or chopped pecans
  • Optional: whipped cream and pecan halves

Line 9 in. pie pan with your favorite pastry recipe; chill. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and flour. Mix well, beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in Kahlua, corn syrup, evaporated milk and pecans. Mix well, pour into pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees F. and bake until firm (about 40 minutes). Chill. Garnish, if desired. Serves 8 – 10.

1 cake lover January 27, 2019 at 9:10 pm

awesome recipe dear thanks for sharing with us

2 Jennifer Berkey December 31, 2018 at 1:34 am

I think this Kahlua Pecan Pie is perfect for the New Year’s Eve party celebration. My family will love this, especially the kids. Thanks for this. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

3 Worth The Whisk November 14, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I think that is possible. The crust might not be crispy/flaky once thawed, however.

4 Elizabeth in Florida November 13, 2017 at 10:52 am

I am another one of those lucky ones who actually have one of the original little booklets . It got wedged between a couple larger cook books for a while and I thought I had lost it. Was really upset until I managed to find it. I am EXPECTED to bring this Kahlua pecan pie to all events and pot luck dinners. My family always asks for a couple of these pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have not tried any other recipes but have heard so many good comments that I will give others a try. Treasure you “treasure” if you have one!!!

5 Elizabeth November 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

I actually have one of those original recipe booklets. The ONLY recipe I have tried is the Kahlua pecan pie. I don’t even think about going to a pot luck without that pie. It is EXPECTED of me because everyone raves about it. For a short while I could not find the booklet and was so frustrated. Finally found it and am so glad. I’ve heard the fudge is great also. Will try next.

6 Tarah Goldklang November 8, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Is it possible to make this ahead of time and freeze it, and then defrost the day before?

7 Janet August 18, 2017 at 10:17 am

I would love to have your little cookbook, please let me know how I can get one thank you

8 Jason Bronfeld December 24, 2016 at 6:28 am

It would be great if you had a print button that reformatted the page so that the recipe can be printed on paper. I like to print out recipes and have them in the kitchen where I can make a mess without worrying.

9 Brenda April 2, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I kicked out the milk ad used Bailey’s Irish cream. I kicked out the corn syrup and used Amaretto instead. Tastes like you are eating a shooter. IT IS THE BEST!

10 carrie November 20, 2015 at 8:27 am

i do have the book, alas it’s somewhere i can’t put my finger on right now, hence the reason i had to look up the recipe. i love the book.

11 Ashley December 25, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi – I had this recipe in the original cookbook/ad for Kahlua and started making this pie years ago. Thank you so much for putting it online (as I’ve moved a few times and have no idea where it is). I’m about to make it now for Christmas. Always a favorite. Cheers!

12 Worth The Whisk November 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

Robin, yes definitely reduce the baking time because you are doing such small pies. If the tart shells are unbaked, watch for overbrowning. If they are pre-baked, the idea may not work since you would be re-baking the crust while you are cooking the filling. Good luck!

13 Robin November 20, 2014 at 4:29 am

I need to make the Kahlua Pecan Pie as mini pies in pre-made frozen tart shells. I obviously would need to chop the pecans but would I need to alter the oven temp and/or baking time, as well? Any other changes?

14 Debbie Kelley August 9, 2014 at 10:46 am

I had the booklet- can’t find it! I have moved so many times over the years! Thank you for posting this recipe, it was an all-time favorite, and I promised to make it for a friends birthday! I thought I still had the recipe, but goodness, I haven’t made it in a LONG time! Thanks again! Yummy!

15 Sherri June 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I have the booklet; just can’t find it!!!! This is my favorite recipe from it. Have made it many times to rave reviews! So happy to find the recipe again as well as your wonderful blog.

16 Karen Morales June 23, 2014 at 9:14 am

I used to have the Kahlua recipe book. Many years ago (approx. 30) I would follow the recipe to the T for the Kahlua Pecan pie and oh my did everybody LOVE it. I have since misplaced the recipe book and I’ve tried to find another one or at least the same recipe on the internet without luck. HELP! Please tell me where I can find this book and the original Kahlua Pecan Pie recipe.

17 Joanie December 13, 2013 at 9:15 am

Shannon,
Thank you so much for the Kahlua cake recipe. I can’t wait to try it once again.
Blessings and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Joanie

18 Shannon Phillips December 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi Joanie! here is the recipe for Kahlua Chocolate Cake — I hope it’s what your husband remembers.

3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup strong cold coffee
3/4 cup Kahlua

Grease and flour two 9 in. cake pans. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Beat egg whites until frothy; then beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks ONE AT A TIME. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and Kahlua; blend well. Fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Cool 10 minutes, invert on wire rack, remove pans. Cool before frosting. Serves 10-12.

Kahlua frosting:
In large bowl, cream 6 tablespoons butter and 1 lb. sifted powdered sugar. Add 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons Kahlua and 2-3 tablespoons hot coffee; beat until smooth.

19 Joanie December 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Have searched all through recipes and boxes looking for my little kahlua recipe pamplet/booklet (can’t remember which) to no avail. It is my husband’s favorite cake. I made it for him for his birthday back in the 80’s when it first came out. This month he celebrates his 70th birthday and I would like to bake the kahlua cake for him. I seem to recall that the recipe called for a small amount of strong coffee in addition to the kahlua. Can anyone help me with this recipe?

20 Fran November 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I have 4 different Kahlua booklets from the early 1980’s but none had the Kahlua Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe which is now I found your website. I had made that one from an ad in Gourmet Mag about 1985 … it was great … and I have lost the magazine.

Use the booklets all of the time …. you did a good job. Thanks

Fran

21 Jacque July 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I absolutely love my Kahlua cookbook…..one of my favorite recipes to make would be the fudge!

22 Shannon Phillips February 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I have the recipe book too, and yes, the pecan pie is fantastic! But my very favorite part of the booklet is the Kahlúa poem:

Look what Kahlúa can do
this endless delight can treat you to
tastes so delicious, whatever your wishes
Kahlúa can easily do!

Look what Kahlúa can make
from cocktails through dinner to cake.
Enchanting, entrancing, uniquely enhancing
Only Kahlúa can do!

Look what Kahlúa can be
it’s a holiday feast or iced tea!
Whatever your pleasure, it starts with this treasure
of versatility!

23 TOM December 22, 2012 at 7:09 am

Just wanted to say I have one the Kailua cookbooks. I didn’t know they were rare. Now I know I have a keepsake.

24 Karen Guerra November 24, 2012 at 6:31 am

Loreen, when my pie cooled, it set beautifully. I’m not a fan of pecan pies — too sweet — but this one is delicious. Definately a keeper!

25 Worth The Whisk November 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Anne, well the company is wrong about the recipes being lost. I have them all, more than 500!

26 Anne @ Webicurean November 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I still have my book, and it’s the one recipe I’ve been making consistently through the years! In fact, it ended up becoming a staple at a B&B where I worked back in the early 90s. I contacted Kahlua a few months ago about posting the recipe on my blog, and I was surprised to learn that all those recipes had been lost when the company was sold!

27 Chuck November 22, 2012 at 7:48 am

I have the exact little book and LOVE it; have had it for years and always make the Kahlua pecan and sometimes Kahlua pumpkin pies. Thank heavens for Google. I left the book at my beach home, where I usually spend Thanksgiving but not this year. Thanks for posting the recipe.

28 Worth The Whisk November 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Loreen, yes I believe they will set. Hot sugar is syrupy.

29 Loreen Eliason November 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Have my pies in right now, but they are sort of soupy…..smell great. I hope they will set as they chill as I have to move onto other cooking..

30 Donna in Kansas City November 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

What a great post re the recipt book. I have had it for years and it has become my holiday pie. Friends and family always ask me to bring the Kuluha pecan, which I will do again this year. I just though I would see if it was on here before I run to the store tonight again without the receipt and buy the wrong stuff !!
dk

31 Robin November 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I feel so “special”! I have my little book of AWSOME kahula recipes. It is very loved. Didn’t realize what I had. Think I will laminate!
Thanks all for sharing!

32 Brendan Tripp November 16, 2012 at 6:33 am

I loved that cookbook, and would make the Kahlua Pecan Pie every Thanksgiving! Back in the day (when that came out) I did a lot of “archaeological vacations” in Mexico, and would always make sure to change out my remaining Pesos for (very, very cheap) Kahlua at the airport’s duty-free store on my way back home, so I always had a supply for trying recipes out of that. The other thing I really liked from the book was a sweet potato bake … yum!

33 Joanie November 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Yes, I had the cookbook but lost it in June when my home burned to the ground in a wildfire. Now I can get on with what is expected of me for the holidays.

34 Carol November 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I actually do have a copy of the wonderful little Kahlua cookbook. I think it came to me from my mother and now my daughter just emailed me asking that I bring the pie recipe with me when we gather for Thanksgiving. Isn’t it nice to hand down delicious recipes and customs from generation to generation.. Happy day.

35 Judy P November 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I am a recipe junkie. I have boxes of recipe pamphlets going back to the late 30’s that I inherited from my grandmothers. Many are for brands that no longer exist.
I just happen to have the Kahlua pamphlet and I love it. I am going to have to build another room soon to hold my collection.

36 Worth The Whisk November 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Awwww, Tony, you made my heart sing! Luckily, 6 or 7 little booklets only takes up 1/2 inch width on the cookbook shelf.

37 Anthony S. Burkett November 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hi Patti!

Two things!

Number !: Your blog is absoluty the BEST!!! I Love it when I receive an email containing the next addition of your blog because I know there is going to be a tasty treat inside waiting for my attempt at perfection. And that’s not to mention the pleaseure I recieve from hearing about yours and Larry’s latest globe trotting adventures.

Number 2: No one needs 6 or 7 “little Kahlua receipe books”…. do they?….and somehow despite my almost lifelong romance with this delicious liquid gold, I have negelected to acquire one…. if you can’t tell me where I can get one of these little jems…. may I have one of yours? 🙂

From a dedicated fan….. Please keep the posts coming!

Tony

38 Worth The Whisk November 7, 2012 at 8:35 am

Rhonda, I would bet you can find a copy of the Kahlua recipe booklet on Amazon or ebay!

39 Rhonda Mannes November 7, 2012 at 2:47 am

I am so sad! I lost my book over the years in moving. Where can I get another?!

Help!

40 Worth The Whisk November 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Paul, we just moved, too. And guess what, we unearthed our last six of these treasured booklets.

41 Paul G November 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I actually had one of the recipe booklets, lost it in one of several moves and then found another about 8 years ago on eBay! The pie was wonderful but I really loved the Cornish game hens and the Chinese chicken salad.
Paul 🙂

42 Worth The Whisk October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Denise, I actually have 500+ Kahlua recipes. This one still tops the list of all time classics.

43 denise October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

OMG! I remember that book!!! My dad owned a liquor store and brought that booklet home. I decided to make it. Mind you I was under 21 at the time, but my Dad said go ahead and make it. I wish I still had that book. So glad I found it on your site!!

44 Worth The Whisk December 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Jan, I agree with you, it DOES get better with each bite.

45 Jan December 23, 2011 at 11:41 am

I tried the kahlua pecan pie at a church potluck luncheon and it got better with each taste! I’m glad I found this recipe and will be making it for Christmas this year! WIsh I’d known about the recipe booklet, I would love to have one!

46 lindalobo December 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

Thank you so much for the glaze recipe..I really appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

47 Worth The Whisk December 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

Linda, here is that ham recipe!

Kahlúa Baked Ham

10 lb. precooked ham
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons Kahlúa
1/2 cup Kahlúa
2 tablespoons dry mustard
Whole cloves

Place ham with rind on a rack in roasting pan, fat side up. Roast in 300 degrees F oven, 18 minutes per pound. During last hour, trim rind, score fat (criss-cross) and stud with whole cloves. Sprinkle top with brown sugar, then 3 tablespoons Kahlúa. Pour 1/2 cup Kahlúa mixed with mustard into pan. Baste frequently with pan syrup.

48 lindalobo December 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I haven’t ever heard of the recipe book…wish I had one. Sounds great. I saw your recipe for the pecan pie and now have a copy..thank you. I believe I must have had that pecan pie recipe years ago, because I know I have made it. What I really need is the recipe for the ham glaze. Used to make it for my Christmas hams but have misplaced mine. Enjoyed reading everything and all the posts.

lindalobo

49 Joe November 28, 2011 at 9:02 am

I have a copy of the book and LOVE it! My pecan pie always gets eaten first at any gathering I take it too. The apple pie is delicious too.

50 Jacquie VW November 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I first made this pie when I but a young thing, newly married, and beginning to contribute to the feasts. It always got rave reviews. I pulled the recipe out of a magazine and have guarded it with my life, but the recipe binder is not accessible at the moment.

My husband just did an internet search for it, and asked “Does your recipe have chocolate chips in it?”

“Yikes! No get off that site!”

Thanks for having the recipe available, and for the reassurance that I’ve got the right one. I’ll add it to my Epicurious box so that I always have it wherever I am.

I used to have one of the cookbooks – but I purged over 50 books from my collection a decade or more ago, and sadly, that one was given away. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it at the used books stores.

51 Richard Faessel November 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Hello all, so funny to run across this web site…we have one of the kahula Recipe books and have a sister-in-law thats keeps claiming its hers…ha ha…would be glad to scan and send it to you? Richard

52 Worth The Whisk November 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

Happy to oblige, Kathryn. Here is the Kahlua Pecan Pie recipe — Larry makes it often, and beautifully!

53 Kathryn Crookston November 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

I had one of the recipe books for 30yrs. Everyone loves my Kahlua fudge. BUT I went to get the book to make the Kahlua pecan pie and having moved a yr ago, I couldn’t find it. I am beyond sad. Can you help me.

54 Connie snyder March 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Glad to find pecan pie receipe. Lost my booklet I had for years; Would like the pumpkin pie receipe too. Connie

55 Worth The Whisk December 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

Trang, Cathy and Joanne — that little booklet is a treasure! I’ll be making more of its contents in the coming year.

56 Trang December 24, 2010 at 6:52 am

My dad got the book over 15+ years ago and started the tradition of kahlua pecan pie and kahlua pumpkin pie for the holidays! To this day I still make the pies every Christmas and thanksgiving, family and friends joke you’ll need a designated driver if you eat a slice (ok I tend to add an extra splash or two of Kahlua) lol!

57 Cathy December 22, 2010 at 9:40 am

I have this book somewhere and make the kahlua pie but I didn’t want to hunt for my book. Had no idea it was an “item”.

58 joanne December 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Somewhere in my boxes of collected recipes I have your booklet. How fun ! This Christmas I am going to try the yummy looking pecan pie ! Thanks for the posting.

59 Worth The Whisk December 6, 2010 at 8:42 am

Valerie, I worked for the Kahlua company for years, have at least 500 Kahlua recipes in my collection, but never encountered a Kahlua Marshmallow Pie. Do share!!

60 Petester December 5, 2010 at 5:53 am

I have had that little recipe book since it came out and have used this recipe many times over the years. Sometimes I even add dark chocolate pieces to the mix which everyone loves.

61 A Canadian Foodie December 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I do NOT have the book – and I am IN! This recipe looks fantastic. Of course, I use Kahlua in my Tiramisu, and I also have another deadly pie recipe that I have transformed into a truffle – and the filling is great in coffee. Maybe it was in the book? Kahlua Marshmallow Pie? It has chocolate cookie crust and the filling is a cup (yup) of Kahlua, a jar of marshmallow cream and I cannot remember – but more than a fair amount of whipping cream whipped… It is STILL a favourite.
🙂
Valerie

62 Crustabakes November 25, 2010 at 12:37 am

This sounds like something worth trying! 🙂

63 Worth The Whisk November 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Happy to oblige, Theresa. I find those booklets all over the place here, and the newer version which I actually produced. Will feature things from that one, too.

64 Theresa November 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thank you for posting the recipe! I have that little Kalhua book somewhere, & have made this pie for several Thanksgivings. I must have tucked it into a larger cookbook or magazine and haven’t seen it in a while. This pie was requested for this year’s celebration and I’m thrilled to have found the original recipe, thanks!

65 Kelly November 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

Yum. That pie looks so tasty as did the Croque Monsieur in your last post, though I am more of a Croque Madame girl myself. 🙂

66 Worth The Whisk November 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Dorothy, I know you are the Blue Ribbon Pie Winning Blogger out there. Make one. Total yum.

67 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious November 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Miss American Pie (moi!) thinks she needs to make this!