Blogger Thanksgiving Feast 820x1024 Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream ~ Food Bloggers Gather to Cook and Share for ThanksgivingThe recipe to make this autumn leaf-laced Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream is at the bottom of this post. Seven bloggers arrived at our home for an early Thanksgiving Feast in the spirit of blogging recipes for our readers’ holiday cooking. As Project Manager, or more realistically “Micro Manager,” I instructed each to produce a dish that would knock it “out of the ballpark!”  Oh my, oh my…

Blogger Thanksgiving Collage thumb Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream ~ Food Bloggers Gather to Cook and Share for ThanksgivingGreat eats walked through that door – Dreamy-delicious. Inspiring. Over the top. Gorgeous! It was a gigantic production here, complete with photography set to capture the afternoon’s best natural light. We were Food Paparazzi. The list of guests in our kitchen (all awesome Camp Blogaway alumni, BTW) and their contributions is below. Yes, you CAN make your turkey that stunning.

Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie thumb1 Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream ~ Food Bloggers Gather to Cook and Share for ThanksgivingLA Times Widget Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream ~ Food Bloggers Gather to Cook and Share for ThanksgivingTHANK YOU LA Times Food Section for attending and featuring our feast!

Sure, Larry was here… in the background, gently swooshing bees from the set, pouring wine, dishing up the Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream (recipe below) as a gracious host.  Thanks Larry!

Kahlúa Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream

Makes 1 (9-inch) pie

For years, I did public relations for Kahlua, eventually amassing 500+ recipes made with the yummy stuff. Part of my job was to work with talented home economists, dream up recipe concepts and get them out to the consuming world. This is one such gem. You’ll never go back to plain Sweet Potato Pie once you savor this version developed by the always-calm and brilliant Karen Gillingham.

• 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (if you want to make the autumn leaves pie crust edge, you need a SECOND sheet of piecrust pastry)
  • 1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed, lump free)
  • 1/4 cup Kahlúa
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • Kahlúa Whipped Cream (recipe follows)

Choose a pie pan with a flat edge. Spray the pan with non-stick spray, then add your pastry. Bake pastry shell in hot oven, 450 degrees F, 7 to 8 minutes, until it begins to brown lightly. (If you don’t want to make the autumn leaf edge, continue with the recipe. If yes, see ** below).

Beat milk, sugar, Kahlúa, corn syrup, spice and salt together until blended. Stir in eggs and sweet potato until mixture is smooth. Stir filling.

With the empty pie shell on the oven rack, slowly pour sweet potato mixture into shell. Reset heat control to moderately slow, 325 degrees F, and continue baking until filling is barely set in center, about 40 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack. Serve with Kahlúa Cream Topping.

Kahlúa Cream Topping: Beat 1 cup whipping cream with 1 tablespoon each of powdered sugar and Kahlúa, just until stiff.

**Autumn leaf piecrust edge: cut as many leaves as you can get out of a sheet of pie pastry using WILTON MINI HARVEST COOKIE CUTTERS. Place leaves on a plate in the fridge while you pre-bake the crust, per above. Remove the pie crust from the oven. To “glue” the leaves, working quickly, dip each in egg-white/water mixture and gently press into the pan edge, slightly overlapping. Use a paper towel to sop up any excess wetness once the whole rim is covered. Then continue, as instructed above. Bake any remaining pastry leaves alongside the pie, use for decoration.

pixel Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream ~ Food Bloggers Gather to Cook and Share for Thanksgiving

{ 7 trackbacks }

Garlic and Herb Potato Gratin and a Foodie Thanksgiving
November 13, 2011 at 6:02 am
Potato Herbed Focaccia with Caramelized Shallots – video
November 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm
Gratitude and an Early Thanksgiving | Black Girl Chef's Whites
November 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Dorothy’s Fresh Cranberry-Ginger Relish
November 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm
sharktube.tv » Food bloggers share passion for cooking, eating
November 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm
Food bloggers share passion for cooking, eating - the zen kitchen
November 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm
Change it Out, Jazz It Up for Holiday Dinners and Perhaps Create New Traditions | Savory Palate Blog
November 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm

1 Carmen miranda August 3, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Eager to try your recipies. For starters the strawberry pie;)

2 Mike Jennings March 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

That looks like a great recipe can’t wait to try it! But the whipped cream looks flat. Do you ever use whip cream dispensers? I bought one from bestwhip and I love it. It produces whipped cream like the starbucks dispensers if you know what I mean.

3 Worth The Whisk November 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Joanne – THANKS for appreciating the working kitchen. It sure got a workout that meal.

4 joanne opdahl November 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Great story in the L.A. Times. Love all the recipes and hope to try a few between now and next Thanksgiving so I can use them for our 2012 Thanksgiving dinner. The picture of your “working kitchen” is a favorite !

5 Patricia from Fresh Food in a Flash November 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm

What an event and a great idea! I love the picture of the table. Saw more pictures in the LA Times too. The comments on those who tasted the pie have got me. Got to try this recipe.

6 Andrea Giambrone November 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

Wow. Yum. And then some. Your Kahlua Sweet Potato Pie would have to be one decadent delight! (Never did see any Patti-made Cheesecake from our evening here). Regardless…you appear to the Dessert Leader of the Pack. Happy Foodtastic Thanksgiving

7 Faythe November 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I’ve never had sweet potato pie before. I’ve been adding sweet potato to our meals more recently, so I look forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing.

8 Fuji Mama November 15, 2011 at 11:49 am

You are amazing! What an incredible day we had. Something to treasure. thank you for getting a little piece of our food family together. And that pie? Wow on so many levels.

9 Nettie Moore November 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

Just sent over from Susan Lurvey. Looks like a wonderful event!

Nettie

10 sippitysup November 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

You know, I have a southern heritage but this was my first sweet potato pie and I am hooked. Of course Kahlua is the kicker I like best about this recipe. GREG

11 Kim Bee November 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I am a huge fan of Tori’s so just had to pop by and say hello after reading her write up about this. It looks like so much fun. What an amazing event with fabulous people. The food was just out of this world. Your pie with the whip cream on it blew me away. I bet it tastes incredible. So glad Tori pointed me in your direction. Have a fantastic week.

12 Kelly November 14, 2011 at 11:44 am

Looks like a fantastic event. I always enjoy getting together with other bloggers because it is so fun to see the twists people put on their dishes, especially with a holiday that is typically so classic.

13 Valentina November 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

This feast looks amazingly delicious and beautiful. I must start keeping Kahlua in my house! It should certainly be a staple from now on.

14 Deena@StayatHomeFOODIE November 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm

The whole meal looks amazing!
Next time, please invite me. (I’m a neo-blogger, but I live around the corner!)

15 Geez Louise! November 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Patti,
Thank you again for hosting this lovely event. I ate WAY to much, but can you blame me. I think I am going to attempt this pie for Thanksgiving, it is worth the whisk…

16 Bonnie Banters November 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

Kahlua in a sweet potato pie…now this is unique and a great way to use that Kahlua! Bookmarked this recipe! Thanks!

17 Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen November 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Congrats on a fantastic event Patti! You did a wonderful job “micro managing,” the potluck was a smashing success. And to end the day with that wonderful, delicious pie and Kahlúa scented whipped cream, light as air… I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! :)