Have You Heard The Table Set?

pin it button Have You Heard The Table Set?

jello mold with logo Have You Heard The Table Set?Maybe you live up the road from us in LA? My guess is, no. You’re in New York, or Iowa, or Auckland, or Delhi. This “recipe for fun” is for you. This stunning Rainbow Jell-o Mold was just one ooooh – aaaah moment at a pool party, thank you homeowner and party host Greg, the talented blogger at SippitySup. Greg is part of a trio of food guys who host The Table Set podcast.

thetableset 280x280 Have You Heard The Table Set?The Table Set is Ring-A-Ding-Ding fun. I subscribe on iTunes and listen on my walks. Soon after I finished Episode 6 “Put An Egg On It!”– JAM PACKED with luscious ideas for brunch — an invite to the party showed up. No way would we miss this, Larry included. Larry is starting to make good blogger friends, too, and Greg is amongst them.  And the party was full of Camp Blogaway food blogger alumni, a happy reunion.

Greg, Andy and Nathan are passionate about food. And cocktails. And entertaining. And their invite resulted in something I never thought would happen. I put on a bathing suit. Arrived at their party. Removed my summer dress. In front of people. Went into the pool. In front of people. Larry, shirtless, got to the knee-deep level, and sat at the edge. Cold? It was refreshing.

It was NOT alcohol that got me to strip. It was… their party spirit. The invite stated that swimming was required. That tells you a lot – this party was guaranteed to be fun, colorful, playful, sophisticated, grownup (no kids, but one fab little Boston Terrier named Jackie). And listening to the podcast in advance, I anticipated there may be eats served between waffles. We were not disappointed.

A groaning board of seasonal vegetable salads, pulled pork sammie makin’s. Homemade ice cream sandwiches. Punch so potent, I caught a whiff of the hooch from the sidewalk. And that bejeweled Jell-o mold, gorgeous! It’s Greg’s.  See his comment, below, for his instructions.

The Table Set put me in a party mood. It may just do the same for you.  Wherever you live… subscribe free to the podcast and enjoy a taste of California living, courtesy of Greg, Nathan and Andy.  Theirs is one of four podcasts produced by Home Fries.

pixel Have You Heard The Table Set?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Summer Happy Post Wrap Up Featuring Bloggers, Recipes, Inspiration — Family Fresh Cooking
September 5, 2011 at 8:05 am
SippitySup » Jump into our Pool Party- The Table Set Video
April 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

1 Kathy - Panini Happy September 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Wow, I am truly impressed! I made some finger jello for a toddler party last year involving just 5 layers and man, that took forever. I can definitely appreciate the effort that went into this – it most certainly paid off. :-)

2 Priscilla - She's Cookin' August 26, 2011 at 9:07 am

I think Greg should post it – jello is so retro and that is a work of art! Wish I had been there for all the fun!

3 Worth The Whisk August 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Michael, the punch was kicking in by the time someone had the courage to slice into it, so my only shot is quite out of focus. However, it looks JUST like the whole, the layers are perfect.

4 Michael / South Bay Foodies August 22, 2011 at 7:35 pm

That jello mold makes me wanna follow advice from Skittles and taste the rainbow. :) Nice job! Did anyone get a picture of the cross section?

5 sippitysup August 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Okay. Due to popular demand I am revealing my “secret” jello recipe!
7 packages (4 oz size) Jello (colors & flavors are up to you)
8 3/4 cups water
3 1/2 cups sour cream

Dissolve 1 pkg jello in 1 1/4 cups boiling water, stir until dissolved. Spoon (do not pour) about 1/2 of the liquid into a 12 cup bundt cake pan. Chill until set but not firm. Meaning it sticks to your finger when touched but holds its shape.

Add 1/2 cup sour cream to the remaining jello from the first package. Mix well, then pass through a strainer to remove all lumps. Carefully spoon (do not pour) this creamy layer onto the plain jello layer. Chill until set but not firm.

Repeat with the remaining 6 packages. You may have a bit of the last layer left over.

To unmold, dip the mold in a large vessel of warm water for about 10 seconds. Gently pull the jello from around the edges with a moistened finger. Place a moistened plate on top of the mold and carefully (quickly) invert. Pour off any accumulated liquid. Shake slightly to loosen the jello. Gently remove mold and center jello on plate as well as you can. Use a clean paper towel to mop up any messy liquid.

It’s important that your pan be exactly 12 cups, otherwise the proportions and depth of your stripes will vary.

If you have a different sized pan. Improvise! GREG

PS Don’t tell Julia Child I gave away my secret.

6 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I have not done a molded jello anything in years…but this is beyond the pale…just beautiful. Now I want to again!

7 Beth August 19, 2011 at 10:10 am

All I can think about (aside from its beauty) is that that thing must have taken forever! I don’t know if I have that kind of patience. I bow to Greg’s brilliance and his level of patience. :-)

8 Kelly August 19, 2011 at 7:04 am

I also only rarely (as in never) don a suit in public at this point. I think this party could have gotten me to make that rare appearance, too. I’m trying to type this before my kids walk in and see the cool jello, or they will force me to spend the rest of the day recreating it. It is darling.

9 Worth The Whisk August 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Yes, small world. And I had some of that pulled pork at his party, it was served with soft, thick bread, homemade mustard, pickles, sliced onions. NOM NOM.

10 Curt August 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love the jello, but smiled when you mentioned Greg from Sippitysup. He and I have been frequenting each other’s site and have been commenting regularly. I like his personality, although only through writing. (He’s a much more sophisticated and clever writer than I am). Me, I’m a backyard griller and smoker kinda guy.

He just commented on my pulled pork article about his pulled pork he served at his pool party.

Small world, isn’t it?

11 The Wind Attack August 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’m so glad we were able to share our party spirit with you! And yes, our recent brunch ramblings was totally what inspired me to make those waffle ice cream sandwiches! :)

12 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Bummed I could not be there.
That Jell-O mold is stunning! Love it, beyond words.

13 Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves August 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Had an awesome time at the party and yes I loved that jello mold!

14 Erika August 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I am devastated beyond words that my travel schedule interfered with this party. Even I would have put on my bathing suit and gotten into the pool!

15 Sippitysup August 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm

What a gift this is to The Table Set! Thank you Patti, not just for the kind words, but for all your bathing beauty enthusiasm! I hope you turn that Jello mold photo into TS and FG! I never got a pic and probably won’t post the recipe either, because, well it’s Jello. No recipe needed. XOGREG

16 Presley's Pantry August 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

What a gorgeous jello mold!