OOPS, forgot to take a “hero shot” photo of my Jalapeno Lime Coleslaw before we dug in at Laura and Jeff’s July 4th gig. No worries, it looks like any other coleslaw, but but but… has a tang and a punch, really worth checking out yourself.
Family, friends, food, fireworks – best recipe ever for a summer’s eve. Laura and Jeff are members of our four-couple Gourmet Club – all great cooks. They live a 7 minute walk to the edge of the Burbank Starlight Bowl. We carried our beach chairs to the top of their street, set ‘em on the parkway to not obstruct the sidewalk, stuffed ears with cotton, leaned back and savored California living.
Then back to the house to snag leftovers. Coleslaw the next day is even MORE tasty. As a picnic food, nothing better!
Jalapeno Lime Coleslaw for a Crowd
- 1 small to medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 whole carrots, grated
- 3/4 red onion, diced small
- 2 whole fresh jalapenos, cut in half, remove seeds, dice very small
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (Trader Joe’s Organic Mayo is unbelievably delicious)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Tabasco for MORE heat, if desired
In a very large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots and red onion.
In a medium bowl, whisk jalapenos with lime juice, sugar, olive oil and mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste. You may now adjust other flavors with a little more sugar, a little more lime. If you want MORE heat, add a few dashes of Tabasco.
Add dressing to cabbage mix and stir to coat well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, chill at least 1 hour. Stir before serving. Serves “a crowd” 12 to 16, depending on serving size. Refrigerate leftovers, delicious the next day, too.