Step-by-step, make this killer Kahlua Ice Cream Layered Cake by following my photos. The idea has been in my recipe binder since 2004, a Family Circle cover recipe made with kid-friendly flavors. No way, this had Kahlua potential, requiring a dinner party at home for obvious melting challenges.
NOT for tots– it’s a boozy grownup dessert. The Kahlua was an homage to dinner guest, Andrea – the powerhouse copywriter behind Kahlua ads for decades, she brought that brand into the American consciousness. I, the little PR person, worked with her for my five years on the account. One day, I’ll list the uproarious Kahlua experiences we had. That company had buckets of money “back in the day,” and we were quite good at spending it. Good Times.
To prepare this dessert, you cannot rush. While not difficult, it needs to keep going back into the freezer for chunks of time or you’ll have a meltdown – both it and then you.
Kahlua Ice Cream Layered Cake
- 9- or 10-inch spring form pan, spray with non-stick spray, then line bottom and sides with waxed paper.
- 8 or 9 ice cream sandwiches (Nestle brand is a good one), keep the supply in the freezer. After about two sammie applications, put the pan back into the freezer for at least ten minutes.
- Slice, place. Back into freezer.
- Once the pan is lined, press all tight with a wooden spoon and back into the freezer.
- 12 to 15 chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, crush in a food processor (or use a rolling pin and put cookies in a plastic bag, roll them crushed). Add a splash of milk to make crumbs cling.
- Pour into pan bottom and press tight with a fork. Back into freezer.
- If the layer feels too thin, crush and press a few more cookies.
- Freeze for about an hour, get everything nice and firm.
- Half gallon of vanilla ice cream, soften — place half into the food processor (put container back into freezer) and blend with 3 to 4 tablespoons of Kahlua, flavor level to your taste preference (yup, you get to start tasting now!).
- Quickly spoon into cake bottom and spread with spatula.
- Back into freezer.
- Second layer: remaining ice cream, food processor with 3 or 4 sandwich cookies until blended, spread as the top layer in pan.
- Back into freezer for at least an hour.
- Now, if the ice cream layer does not reach the top of the sandwich edges (and/or is uneven), use a knife, pizza cutter or cheese slicer to trim the sammies to the ice cream layer. This is just for aesthetics.
- Back into the freezer. Eat sammie scraps.
- When ready to serve, unsnap the pan spring, push cake up from the bottom, peel off wax paper edge, slice and serve pronto. Makes 8 to 10 servings. It melts quickly — ready your guests before you set down a plate of this luscious Kahlua love.