Your Advice, Please ~ What Do You Do With Chestnuts?

chestnuts 768x1024 Your Advice, Please ~ What Do You Do With Chestnuts?Help!  My longtime food pro friend Lisa Ekus sent me a generous box of Roland specialty food products, lotsa fun stuff. But this California-born and still-lives-in-LA foodie (the Land of Every Kind of Eats, in other words) has a confession – Chestnuts are foreign food to me. I’m asking for your help here… what recipe to cook with a jar of Chestnuts?

Yes, I can Google, or go to the Roland website for their recipes. But you, dear readers, are literally all over the globe. Help me? Please publish your advice as a comment, below. Provide a link to your suggested Chestnut-packin’ recipe. Or write the whole recipe (space unlimited!). Tell me a story about Chestnuts. I’m scared of them. They look like what happens when hazelnuts breed with figs.

UPDATE:  I made these really pretty CHESTNUT CAKES with that jar.  But would LOVE more ideas, so please keep ‘em coming.

– 7.4 ounces, Vacuum Pack “Product of France.” Give me something to make for Super Bowl Sunday that uses them all up.  GO!

pixel Your Advice, Please ~ What Do You Do With Chestnuts?

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention Your Advice, Please ~ What Do You Do With Chestnuts? | Worth The Whisk -- Topsy.com
January 31, 2011 at 10:21 am

1 CamilleCooks February 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Here’s a great cookie I made with my jar of roasted chestnuts:

2 Worth The Whisk January 31, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Corinne – does a Super Bowl Buche de Noel work??

3 Corinne January 31, 2011 at 11:42 am

My mother makes a buche de noel with chestnut buttercream every year that is TO DIE FOR delicious–and we used the same Roland brand chestnuts. I would definitely recommend using them for some kind of sweet/pastry/cake!

4 Worth The Whisk January 30, 2011 at 9:16 am

Pam, I was hoping for DESSERT, seriously. Very inspired.

5 Pam Anderson January 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm

No one has suggested dessert! I have a recipe called Avalanche on Mont Blanc. Spoon softly whipped brandy-flavored whipped cream over mounds of good vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle coarsely crumbled chestnuts over the cascading whipped cream and garnish with bittersweet chocolate shavings. Mmmm.

6 Peggy Fallon January 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hi Patti!
Come on over to http://www.projectfoodie.com and type “chestnuts” in the Recipe Search Box…then you’ll have access to dozens of chestnut recipes from magazines, television, and newspapers. Let us know which one you choose!

7 Cindy Epstein January 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I LOVE roasted chestnuts. They’re mildly sweet if roasted properly, with a flavor reminiscent of baked sweet potatoes (not yams). I was at a magnificent holiday fundraiser at the West Inn & Suites, http://westinnandsuites.reachlocal.net/index.cfm, in Carlsbad last year. Executive Chef Eugenio Martignago of West Steak Seafood & Spirits was roasting chestnuts outside in a traditional roaster that is a cylindrical “cage-like” gadget that is slowly hand turned over an open fire. It was a clear cold night, the fire was warm, and the chestnuts were mild and sweet. The Chef had just returned from a trip to Italy for his mom’s birthday and he told us stories about Christmas in his small Italian town and the chestnut roasters on the street corners. It was a wonderful party. BTW: When you’re in Carlsbad it is definitely worth eating there. Their fine dining restaurant is not to be missed! It’s one of my favorite restaurants. Oh, and talk about an exquisite wine list.

8 Kate January 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Stir fry them with shredded brussell sprouts and shredded ginger !!!

9 Erika January 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love chestnuts too. I made a fantastic fig and chestnut stuffing at Thanksgiving this year from this recipe by the California Fig Advisory board: http://californiafigs.com/recipe.php?id=99

I also love chestnut cream, which you can make by pureeing chestnuts in the food processor with sugar, a dash of vanilla, and a little milk or cream. Or you can buy it in a can or jar, usually called “chestnut puree.” I think Roland makes that too. Anyway, I use that to fill crepes, like this: http://www.inerikaskitchen.com/2010/09/gesztenye-palacsintak-hungarian.html

10 Tim January 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Blanch brussels sprouts for about 2 minutes max, then drain and toss with the chestnuts and some bacon and heat everything together. Don’t overcook the brussels sprouts or they get farty, just lightly blanched and then reheated. So awesome.

11 Worth The Whisk January 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

Rob – send me a link to the right recipe!

12 Robin January 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

Patti, Patti—-cream of chestnut soup! no brainer. and YUM!

13 The Runaway Spoon January 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love chestnuts – and stock up on them like crazy around the holidays. First and foremost, they have to be in my Thanksgiving stuffing, but here are two other recipes I use them in, if you are interested. Crispy Chestnut Veal with Chestnut Wine Sauce, http://bit.ly/geGY2M. or my recent favorite, Roasted Chestnut Bisque, http://bit.ly/ecTVxK.

Hope that helps!

14 Mary Deming Barber January 28, 2011 at 10:31 am

Patti,

Good luck! Many years ago, my husband and I were on a weekend trip to Seattle during the holidays. We came across a street vendor selling chestnuts roasting on an open fire. We had to try them after hearing so much. We both took bits and tossed everything in the garbage. Just terribly bitter. I hope you have better luck!