Eating in India

Post image for Eating in India

2Larry and I weren’t Indian food aficionados before we visited India. Early in our marriage, we lived next door to a delightful Indian family; Northridge, CA. One evening, they invited us to dinner and proceeded to blow our brains out with the hottest food I’d ever encountered. I recall wincing and sweating, followed by spice-burping for days. So while Larry and I really do love hot spicy foods, we somehow decided we “didn’t like Indian food.”  Dumb. Only recently have we started hitting Indian restaurants to realize what we’d missed these decades. Fast forward to our trip to India.

Nearly three weeks in Northern India produced good eats along with stunning photos. Everything about India was overload – colors, sounds, flavors. Out of fear of experiencing Delhi Belly; I stuck mostly to hot, cooked foods proper snacks but still enjoyed the sights of foods wherever we went. Overseas Adventure Travel tour guide Bindu taught us that Southern is much different than Northern food. That can only mean one thing: we will travel again in the future to India. And when people ask,”did you get sick eating in India?” The answer is, “no.”  I am also encouraged to know that there are fine food bloggers like Deeba who blogs at Passionate About Baking based in India to consult when we get ready to return.

collage 2

collage 4

Collage 1

collage 3

collage 5

collage 6

collage 7

1 Worth The Whisk January 29, 2011 at 7:51 am

So good to hear from you KJ – we traveled throughout India with a tour group, so they managed our meals. Fabulous food is all around you in India, and I am excited for you to visit there for a wedding, how great! On our tour, there was no guarantee that we’d stay safe from cooties, and a few travelers had a day or two of Delhi Belly, but carry Pepto Bismol tablets with you, and be really smart. And don’t “sing in the shower” – the water from any source is to be avoided.

2 KJ Burley January 29, 2011 at 7:06 am

Hi, Patti!
We met several years ago at Camp Getaway. I was the massage therapist who filled in for Kerem when she got married. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to return as I moved back to W. Va. a few months after that.
I am traveling to India in a few days for a friend’s wedding. I will have a day in Delhi all by myself and am a little nervous about that. Can you recommend some good place(s) to enjoy some fabulous Indian food while avoiding the “Delhi belly”?
Thanks for your new blog. I’ve really been enjoying it. And thanks for any advice, suggestions, etc. you may share about traveling to India.
<3 kj

3 Russ Allen January 29, 2011 at 3:10 am

Ah, you never disappoint. The pictures are wonderful.

4 Lentil Breakdown January 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I could ooh and ah all the way to Mumbai! Simply stunning!

5 Lana January 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Patti, it was really nice meeting you today at Pam’s. I love your photos, but even more than that enjoy your entertaining, playful, and well-written prose.
Looking forward to getting to know you better, through the blog and IRL:)

6 Deeba January 22, 2011 at 7:33 am

WTG Patti …. I love how you did this one too. This is the Indian I love… the diversity and the colour!

7 sreelu January 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Oh Patti, your pictures remind me so much of home, I miss the street food the most in India, I am so impressed with you experimenting Indian food, pic tell it all.

8 Worth The Whisk January 20, 2011 at 8:16 am

HH– yes, we DID watch that No Reservations show. India is calling us!

9 Kath January 20, 2011 at 8:04 am

Great photos! They inspire me to pull out my 660 Curries cookbook to try something new. I love Indian food, but I find it a bit intimidating to make it myself.

10 Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul January 20, 2011 at 7:26 am

Patti, I love your photos. I also LOVE Indian Food, and I always have. I’m looking forward to visiting India sometime in the near future.

11 Heavenly Housewife January 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm

What lovely pictures. India is one of my dream destinations, I really hope to go one day. My husband is from india but it took me a looooooooooong time to learn to like indian food because it was too hot for me. Now I love the stuff. Have you seen Anthony Bourdain’s show No Reservations where he goes to India? I was ready to book my tickets then LOL.
*kisses* HH

12 Cathi Hofstetter January 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Fabulous Photos!!!! I’m with Marlene. I want to go for Indian food with you guys…think there are a lot in the OC! And India….gotta go. I’m so jealous of you and Larry!

13 Russ January 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

Dolores and I have like wise never bern big Indian food fans. I hope when we go go India that we also get reformed. Thanks for the foodie photos

14 Worth The Whisk January 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

Marlene, I sure care for it now so Indian restaurants, here we come!

15 Marlene Brown Oliphant January 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

Okay, Patti, we are of the same ilk, we “don’t care for Indian food”. So take us to your fav place in LA, we’re in! –Marlene O.