Chocolate Kahlua Truffles

kahlua chocolate TruffleThis is my adaptation of a candy recipe in Cooking Light, truffles made with bourbon. If a sweet recipe calls for bourbon, I already think it will be better with Kahlua. Chocolate Kahlua Truffles were my final product. I wanted a “tiny” holiday gift to make for the peeps who matter to me at UCLA Medical Center, one of my volunteer gigs. And when it comes to rich candies like truffles, tiny is just fine.

Kahlua Chocolate TrufflesUnless I am mistaken, truffle candies are supposed to look like real truffles – kinda round clumps covered with “dirt,” so roll them thickly in the cocoa. A tiny candy paper cup is a must, I think, because these are really soft. The “sale bin” at the Santa Monica Sur La Table had packages of 40 candy papers at $1.99 each — you know me, FRUGAL. You can buy them online at the regular price, kinda pricey.

My recipe, below, is slightly simplified from the original, and I bulked it up to make 40 candies. I’m a “less is more” dessert giving girl – we all eat enough calories, so I made 2-pack gifts (when you taste them you will understand that two is a LOT of richness). Larry received exactly one truffle. I had my one. SOOOOO GOOD, get ‘em outta here!!

Chocolate Kahlua Truffles, adapted from Cooking Light

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons evaporated whole milk
  • 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • Dash of salt
  • 3 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, milk, corn syrup, and salt. Cook 1 minute until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.

Stir in Kahlua and vanilla extract. Add the chocolates and let stand for 1 minute to soften. Stir until smooth. Pour into a shallow glass dish, cover and refrigerate a minimum 4 hours or overnight.

To make the truffles, heat a tablespoon measure or melon baller with hot water, pat dry. Scoop mixture with spoon, roll in your palms quickly, drop into cocoa and roll to coat.  Place in candy cups, refrigerate.  Makes 40 to 45 candies.

1 sippitysup December 13, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Lovely little truffles are so amendable to personal taste so all these suggestions sound delicious. GREG

2 Worth The Whisk December 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Gigi, substitute strong brewed coffee, cold. You can even make some with espresso powder and water.

3 GiGi December 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Is there something else I can use besides alcohol? I have none in my home, and I don’t want to go out and by any just for this wonderful sounding recipe.
Merry Christmas
Thanks

4 Worth The Whisk December 16, 2010 at 9:20 am

OMG, Tammie, I am salivating at the idea of Peppermint Schnapps in these, thanks for that idea!

5 Tammie December 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I loved this! I used Peppermint Schnapps. It was easy and my husband won’t leave it alone! Now I have to make more. Go for it….

6 Laura @ Family Spice December 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I’m thinking Bailey’s…. I tend to overdo it when it comes to giving baked goods. But I agree with truffles, less is definitely more!

7 Cookin' Canuck December 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I have been trying to decide what kind of treat to give my neighbors this year. This recipe is simple, but special, enough to fit the bill.

8 Worth The Whisk December 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Thanks, Pamela — now I can reveal that it was Pamela at My Man’s Belly blog who gave me that beautiful spoon. She bought it at the Porte de Vanves flea market in Paris for moi. Merci, Pamela.

9 My Man's Belly December 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Nice spoon. 😉 And the truffles look pretty gorgeous too!

I’m with you on the quantities. I make ’em small and rich then get them out of the house immediately.

10 Kelly December 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I love recipes like this because simply by changing up the liquer you can transform the flavor. These sound fantastic. I always enjoy giving homemade gifts to others. Reminds me that with only a few days left I should really think about what I want to do this year.

11 louise mellor December 13, 2010 at 12:21 pm

i was thinking about truffles this morning… maybe frangelico. i agree less is more this time of year~ too much food!