Wine Cork Trivets ~ A Larry Craft

Wine Cork TrivetLarry will be quick to inform you that the collection of wine corks in the tall glass cylinder in our family room is not ALL CORKS (final photo below). There are bricks inside to keep it from toppling. Nevertheless, there were PLENTY of corks available for his craft project, sparked by a sighting at a Santa Monica tapas bar on a recent food walking tour by Six Taste. With the growing popularity of screw-top wine bottles as well as plastic corks, real cork is disappearing sooner than we hope. Time for a craft!

tapas barFirst the backstory: look closely at the top right corner of this restaurant kitchen shot, in the back, you see a pile of cork trivets. See them?? Don’t feel bad, I didn’t either. I was staring at the ham smack in front of me, but Larry saw the trivets. He wanted one. He asked the chef to see one. Then once home, Larry made us a pile of them.

He laid out corks to the size he wanted, measured the dimensions, went to a lumber store and had them cut pieces of quality pressed fiberboard to 6 1/2” by 7 1/2” which holds 32 corks.

UnderneathHis glue of choice, also purchased at the lumber store, was a can of Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive. Once glued, he then put his stack of trivets under a heavy box until they dried. We now have a nice collection of them, and a dent again in our cork collection. If he gets your name in the Secret Santa at work, guess what you get.

wine cork collection

1 Worth The Whisk August 10, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Oh golly what a question. Maybe look on etsy to see if something similar is for sale?

2 Samantha Morris August 10, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I am making wine cork trivets for a craft show at a local winery and I am at a loss on what to charge. I get the corks for free and really they omg take .99 to make. Any suggestions?

3 Christine Nicole June 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Is anyone interested in trading corks? I collect them for projects and have several multiples and several others I would like to get more of. I would think someone out there would be in the same situation.

4 Lisa December 6, 2010 at 9:07 am

And I thought WE had a lot of corks!!! Wow!! I’m impressed. 🙂 And we WILL be making cork trivets!

5 Worth The Whisk December 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

A Two Buck Chuck cork trivet sounds perfect, and you know us well, Gail!

6 Gail Bedard December 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

Last year we received a cork trivet from John’s uncle that he made with Charles Shaw corks. Next time I see you, I’ll show you ours. A little different from yours. We, too, have been collecting corks, but we sure don’t have as many as you. I guess we know who loves wine!!!!!!!

7 Sarah December 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this cork craft! Very clever Larry, and written with the wit I enjoy, Patti! Keep craft commentary coming!

8 stella starlite November 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

I have corks, too!! Great project. And you could put all the brands together or mix brands and colors. I love black corks!

9 Julie M. November 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I’ve always liked cork boards like that. Those are great!