Cucumber, Cream Cheese and Lox ~ a Foolproof Appetizer

Cucumber appetizerIf you’re one of those people who claims to not cook, or thinks they cannot cook, this recipe is for you. Don’t be “one of those” who stop at Whole Foods for something from the deli to bring to a potluck. Or a frozen Trader Joes fan. To a party?? Be a hero; bring homemade, for goodness sake! You can do it. Make this appetizer.

There is no cooking involved, just cutting, scooping, schmeering, rolling and a lot of ooohs and aaaahs. Quick, simple and somewhat frugal – lox are a little pricey but you only need four ounces. Looks pretty, works for brunch, lunch or dinner. They go fast because they are bite-sized finger food. And one big reason I chose to make these for a recent food bloggers’ brunch is because Larry isn’t a fan of lox. Or cucumber for that matter. I love BOTH, so in essence, my taking these out the door was “Larry approved.”

Cucumber, Cream Cheese and Lox Appetizer

• 2 English cucumbers (this variety usually is cello-wrapped)
  • 1 cup whipped cream cheese
  • 4 ounces smoked salmon/lox
  • Capers, for garnish
  • Fresh cracked pepper

Using a peeler, create stripes down the sides of the cucumbers. Cut off ends of cucumber and slice into 1-inch rounds. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out seeds and inner flesh from the top 2/3 of each cucumber slice; do not scoop all of the way through. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine cream cheese with a little fresh cracked pepper.  Spread mixture into each scooped out cucumber round to fill.

Using a sharp knife, slice salmon into 1/4 inch strips. Roll a strip up to look like a rose. Top the cream cheese mixture with a roll of salmon, place a caper on top.  Sprinkle all with more fresh-cracked pepper.  Makes 24 to 30 appetizers, depending upon size of cucumber.

1 Gram December 22, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Great, pretty and tasty

2 Worth The Whisk September 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

Robyn, I hope you like them. I had a hard time not popping a bunch in my mouth just as I was making them. “One for the party, one for me.”

3 Robyn September 23, 2010 at 6:58 am

Hi, I’m making these right now:) What a great combination of flavors and so pretty and easy too. I Peeled the whole cucumber because I’m not a fan of the skin but I love the way you described scooping out part of the seeds with a melon scoop. It worked great! Thanks for sharing this one:)

4 Worth The Whisk September 7, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Kim, yup you were right there.

5 Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro September 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Wait… did I have a bit of this a few weeks ago?! If I did, I thought it was GOOD!!! Love sour cream. Love lox. Perfect with back-yard cukes.

6 Worth The Whisk August 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Wow, that may be in a future post for me! Thanks so much for the how-to.

7 Delishhh August 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Amazing appetizers! I love them. If you ever want to make your own gravlax to put on i have a great recipe here: I make it all the time and people always wonder where i buy it.

8 Lynne@CookandBeMerry August 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

These little appetizers are not only beautiful, but taste amazing, too. Patti made them for the FBLA meeting and they were delish.

9 Kath August 25, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Patti, this is so beautiful! And I appreciate your opinion about bringing something homemade to the party instead of something from the deli!

10 Worth The Whisk August 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Maybe I should head on up to Alaska for a visit and try it myself!

11 Mary Deming Barber August 25, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Those look really easy and delicious. Perfect for Alaska salmon and fresh cucumbers. Have to try them…soon!

12 Kelly August 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Yum. That does look delicious and gorgeous too. Who can ever turn down salmon, cucumber and cream cheese. Also seems perfect for those summer days when turning on the stove seems unappealing.