Simple San Diego Sandwich

San Diego SandwichIt may look unassuming, but I’d been dreaming about this sandwich recently. THIS was the quintessential sammy of my San Diego college years and a defining food for me. Back when I was “college poor,” hanging with cheap friends, I rarely ate in restaurants. But I remember this sandwich, practically every San Diego casual menu had it.

My nutrition studies at SDSU were eye-opening. Up ‘til then, my only relationship with an avocado was as guacamole. My copy of Diet For A Small Planet, the vegetarian nutrition tome I still recommend, sits here on my bookshelf, dog eared and food stained. Yes, I was a vegetarian – 15 years, in fact (why I stopped was spineless, succumbing to the pressure of being boring to eat with). But San Diego still influences my relationship with food. I love real ingredients. I read labels. I reject frankenfoods: artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, sodas, even power bars. Yet I’ve softened over the years and admit that frankenfoods sometime sneak into our home… party leftovers. Shopping mistake. To make up for it, a good sandwich helps.  Tell me… is this a familiar sammy to you, or is this Pure San Diego?

Jack Cheese, Avocado and Alfalfa Sprouts Sandwich

• whole wheat bread, toasted
  • Hollywood Safflower mayonnaise
  • fresh avocado
  • Monterey jack cheese
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • sprinkle with Spike

hollywood safflower mayonnaise spike seasoningWARNING:  Do not deviate from the Hollywood Safflower mayo OR the Spike.  Those are the touches that make this sandwich San Diego.

1 Elizabeth March 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Greg is so wrong, definately San Diego Sandwich. Little sandwich shop in Del Mar (suburb of San Diego) started this back in 1977. So yummy. You can now buy salt free Spike, not the same on the sandwich, but for salt free people it works .

2 Gretchen July 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Grew up in New Jersey, have spent even more years here in Chicago – have never heard of Hollywood Safflower Mayo or Spikes! The closest sammy I know (and have enjoyed over the years) has all these veggies, but includes sliced turkey – yum–m-m!

3 Worth The Whisk July 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

Lynne, I will have to think about that… OK, for the Minnesota version, Best Foods is approved.

4 Lynne@CookandBeMerry July 26, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I love the crunch of alfalfa sprouts on a sandwich. I went to college in Minnesota, so is it OK if I use my Best Foods mayo?

5 Worth The Whisk July 26, 2010 at 9:14 pm

To my readers. I have met Greg. He is nice. But he is wrong. SanDiegoSandwich.

6 sippitysup July 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Just so you know this is NOT a San Diego Sandwich. It is a Santa Barbara Sandwich. I know I went to college there. It must be typo on your part and I am pleased to point it out to you GREG

7 Worth The Whisk July 26, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Erika, by george, that is true. The rabbit food part, not necessarily the healthier part. LOL.

8 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen July 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

That’s the kind of sandwich we native New Yorkers make fun of as “typical California rabbit food.” No wonder you Californians are so much healthier than we New Yorkers, on average.

9 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious July 26, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Yes to avocado, sprouts and Jack, but never had Spike! Now I must scamper out and buy some to try it!

10 Worth The Whisk July 26, 2010 at 10:12 am

Kath – I hadn’t eaten sprouts in some time until this past week’s sandwiches and the memories flooded back.

11 Kath July 26, 2010 at 9:39 am

I wish I had a nickel for every sandwich like yours that I’ve eaten in my vegetarian (only a year) and non-vegetarian years. And I’ve had them everywhere but San Diego! Mostly in Washington and Oregon. It may be a West Coast thing. Thanks for the sprouts memories! 🙂