Eating on an African Safari

Post image for Eating on an African Safari

When you travel 30+ hours to get home from Southern Africa, jet lag can be a whopper. But a great use of time at 4 AM is photo management. African light is naturally stunning. Morning light differed from mid-day, and sundown yet again different. It was easy for my little Canon G-10 to document how well we ate these past several weeks — I wanted to share some meals with you. In fact, I have about a dozen blog posts in various stages formed from this trip, so stay tuned. See at bottom for info on the tour we took. Bon appétit, African style!

Collage 3Collage 1Collage 2

collage 4

collage 10Collage 5

collage 6

collage 7

collage 8

About The Trip: May/June 2010 – Larry and I visited Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and had a day trip in South Africa on an “Ultimate Africa” Safari by Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT). Staying in authentic safari lodges and tent camps in prime game-viewing locations, the trip was, in a word: Magical. Mado, 15-year seasoned guide kept our group of 11 moving constantly, fed often, cocktailed at just the right times and well informed on any species of mammal, reptile, bird or plant we saw on 20 or so game drives. Larry and I have traveled with several tour companies; this was our first with OAT (a fellow traveler on our trip around Eastern Europe turned us on to this) and I can say with all honesty, this earned a spot at the top of our list. If you ever book with OAT, please tell them Patti & Larry Londre referred you – full disclosure: OAT travelers earn travel credits this way. Bon voyage!

1 Bill June 4, 2014 at 6:06 am

I love experiencing the food from other cultures. A trip to Africa is at the top of my list. Love the variety of dishes in this post, Patti!

2 Worth The Whisk June 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Everybody should get to Africa, it’s transformational.

3 Barbara Keckler June 2, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I have often thought of going to Africa, but have always wondered if I would go hungry the whole time (picky eater), but everything looks delicious! It may be time to put this pack on the bucket list!

4 James L. Costantino February 20, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Glad to be here and know about this . I also recently completed my safari tour but the snaps you have are amazing . Really cool.

5 zoesmom July 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS.

6 marla {family fresh cooking} June 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm

What a great collage of food photos! The lighting in Africa sounds so beautiful. Glad to see you had such a wonderful trip!

7 Carin Puglisi June 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Well John and I were just waiting for the info. on your trip…You have in the past put us on to other great Travel Agency’s and places to go. So, if you really did find this trip to be outstanding then we’re going to consider it too. When you get more time maybe you can give us some hints on the things that are really special to see and do, and what time of the year is the best to go. We just loved our trip to Kenya and Tanzania, and did see the big 5 too. Africa holds a very special place in our hearts. Thanks again for the info. Loved your photos, just so delicious . Hi to Larry, Love Carin

8 denise vivaldo June 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I agree with Miss P -once you go to Africa- you can’t wait to get back.
Her pictures prove it!

9 Worth The Whisk June 13, 2010 at 8:10 am

Carey, that’s so nice of you. Maybe one day I will print this whole thing out and give to family members. Considering the fact that pretty much none of the recipes are originals by me, a cookbook publisher wouldn’t be very interested, wouldn’t you think?

10 Carey June 13, 2010 at 3:57 am

Patti, I think you’ve got the makings of a great book here. Ever think about a “Worth the Whisk” cookbook? Your pictures are stunning! Thank you for sharing!

11 Worth The Whisk June 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hi Lynne, there wasn’t much in the way of curry seasoned foods.

12 Lynne@CookandBeMerry June 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Hi! I’m glad you’re back! Your post makes it look like all you did on safari was eat. A lot. I recognize the ingredients, but I’m wondering if the seasoning was African in some way. Did I see curry?

13 andrea giambrone June 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Your photos get ever better, ever more tempting; and I can’t believe that so much food got served and, apparently, loved during your trip. All of it looks like a wow – even the simple eggs. And the turtle pastry is too wonderful (fun-derful?)
Welcome back. Typically, you make use even of jet lag. I’m surprised you didn’t choose to learn a new language during your down time…on the other hand…given the way your posting and Whisking keeps improving…in a way you did! Andrea

14 Christine Weidemann June 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Those pictures are fantastic Patti! They take me back to that amazing trip! Miss it and our group already! 🙂

15 bunkycooks June 12, 2010 at 5:16 am

Wow! That is quite the spread! I hope you had fun on the trip and it sure looks like you had a great time eating.

16 Worth The Whisk June 12, 2010 at 5:14 am

Russ, I took a gazillion pix of wildlife, will use in upcoming posts. Much easier to “decompress” from this great vacation first with the easier collection, the food. Thanks for your comments on the biscuits, too.

17 Russ Allen June 12, 2010 at 3:03 am

It looks like you and Larry ate your way across Africa. Dolores and I are glad to here you enjoyed the trip so much. We got back 2 months ago from an OAT trip to Vietnam and Cambodia that was wonderful. OAT always has great trip leaders and we have always loved their trips. We are going to do the Safari Serengeti trip next year with OAT. I also wanted to let you know that I tried you Southern biscuit recipe and not only were the biscuits fantastic but it was so easy to do and I could make a batch of batter and save it in the refrigerator and use it several times for just a few biscuits. By the way, did you take any pictures of the wildlife?

18 A Canadian Foodie June 11, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Three times! Wonderful! Thank you for the teaser… I await every post you have started, and more! What an outstanding itinerary. The day trip sounds magical. Africa is on my top three next to go to places – but Egypt – then Morocco. (via Spain)
SA has not been on my list as it would be incredible to see… but my list is long. And I hope you will elaborate on what you mean when you say it is changing so rapidly in your future posts.

19 Marty Kasindorf June 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hi, Patti! This is being written from the hospital info desk … welcome home. Sounds like a fabulous trip — and the food, my God! Can’t wait to see some wildlife pictures, too — unless the food you photographed USED to be the wildlife you saw. Irma and I must do an African trip some time, and we will go with OAT upon your recommendation and get you some credits. Well, as they say in Swahili, I must pese pese (hurry) and get back to helping all these people. Hope to see you, un-jet-lagged, next week.

— Simba Kasindorf

20 Marje Bennetts June 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm

WOW — magical indeed. Thanks for the share and we’ll have to chat. It is a trip I have always wanted to take, and looks like you and Larry did it right again. Beautiful photos and I am sure, a beutiful time. MB

21 Worth The Whisk June 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Julie, this was our third trip to Africa. If you go once, you tend to want to return. Leave the boys with the grandparents and hurry to Africa. It is changing rapidly.

22 Julie M. June 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

That looks like the trip of a lifetime! I would love to do that one day when the boys are a bit older. your pictures are beautiful as well. So much delicious food!

23 Worth The Whisk June 11, 2010 at 11:31 am

Caroline, you are so sweet. Food pix were totally Jump-In-And-Shoot — my tour group was very kind to let me get shots quickly before they started to eat. And as I said, African light was really the magic touch. PS – I don’t plan to get onto the scale for at least two weeks.

24 Caroline June 11, 2010 at 11:27 am

Gorgeous, Patti. How did you find the time to do the stylin’ between eating all this wonderful food?

25 Worth The Whisk June 11, 2010 at 9:48 am

Glad it brought back good African memories for you Adrienne. We only got home yesterday afternoon, I am woozy.

26 Adrienne June 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh, this is so fabulous! It reminds me of our feast when I went on a safari in South Africa. Thanks for bringing back great memories. PS love the photo collage.