Travel Drip Coffee Pot

Post image for Travel Drip Coffee Pot

Travel-coffee-potWe’re in prep mode for an adventure to Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia. We have all the gizmos and whiz bang thingies road warriors have, but maybe YOU don’t have one of these. Not only is it a travel sized coffee pot, it is DRIP. Great for places with no in-room hot water pots. Not so much just for coffee, but to make things that require boiling water. We’re hungry travelers.

Travel-coffee-pot-pieces

POST UPDATE — THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES, YOU HAVE TO FIND THEM AT FLEA MARKETS OR EBAY.

This is a Norelco Voyager TC 22, about the size of one of Larry’s gym shoes, and not easy to find (keep an eye out on e-bay). The reason I am writing this is because, if I couldn’t find this one again, I’d find something like it. This is my second one, I fried the first one with use.

We travel a lot. Have hit all 50 states. All 7 continents, a few several times. And I carry food. Sometimes, local food can be trouble. Or inconvenient. Or dangerous (you don’t just go out of your hotel in Cairo for an evening bowl of soup). Sometimes we wake up starving. Or get in at odd hours. A hot cup of instant oatmeal, tea, instant soup is a lifesaver. And I do like drip coffee.

This has two cups, storage containers and drip filter. We travel with spoons. It most recently accompanied us to Barbados but we won’t bring it to Africa. We’re restricted to 26 lbs. luggage for three weeks, and they brew delicious, heavy coffee in Africa.

Do YOU travel with food? Do you have such an item, or similar? Tell me about it!

1 Sally August 13, 2015 at 6:47 am

I haven’t used mine in years and was going to sell it at a garage sale. Glad I decided to keep it and wish I had brought it with me on my last trip. It would have saved me from a night of hunger after dancing until the wee hours at the resort! I can wait to bring it with me on my next trip! Love your blog, Patti!

2 Diane June 18, 2014 at 12:47 am

Just in case you do really want to give that stuff away, my email is under the posting Diane Hunter. But just to be sure, it’s Ktamsor2@aol.com

3 Sue June 17, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Diane-
Neato! But they didn’t post my message about how I’ve already given away the filter, but the rest is yours. my email is suebeeh10@gmail.com.
Sue

4 Diane June 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Yes me!!! Please! I’d love to have them!

5 Sue June 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Well, thank you for the advice. I tried the oil, as well as earlier trying to pry, hammer, bump and pull…no go. So now it’s in the garbage can after I finally threw it on the garage floor.

Did someone say they needed a plug or filter, one cup, two containers or the big brown part?

6 Worth The Whisk June 15, 2014 at 1:28 am

Sue, since there is no “latch” holding it together, sounds like the plastic cup is just really tightly squished onto the pot. Try getting a little cooking oil in there, slip it off like a tight wedding ring?

7 Sue June 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I can’t get the handle to release the bottom. Can someone give me a hand?

8 Diane Hunter April 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

I have one I bought at a thrift store for a dollar, but it doesn’t have a power cord. I’m hoping someone can sell me theirs from one that doesn’t work any more. Contact me if you have an extra. Ktamsor2@aol.com

9 Nancy A Canada November 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

I have one of the Norelco Voyager TC22 Hot Food/Beverage Makers, with the
Manual enclosed, which I gifted it to the College st;udent daughter of a friend. Beforehand I made copies of the manual. If interested I can paste & copy. I can be reached at above Email address.

10 EvaMae McClure January 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I still have the one from the thrift store and it’s for sale. If you know how to personally contact anyone on this thread go ahead and email me.

11 Worth The Whisk January 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm

EvaMae, no it doesn’t work like a thermos. It’s just for brewing your hot coffee or soup. I would suggest you DO hang onto it!

12 EvaMae McClure January 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

One of these units came into the thrift store where I work part time. This one has 3 small containers with lids in it. One is divided. Now that I know how it works I may keep it. Does it work at all like a thermos if I make the food to fill the little containers before I leave home? Or are they just for making small servings of whatever in with the hot water you make in the main unit? The store is going to sell it for just a couple or 3 dollalrs I think. There isn’t an instruction book with it but someone mentioned finding a printable one online. If I can find and print that one I’ll inclose it with the until for the buyer if I don’t keep it for myself.

13 Worth The Whisk September 8, 2011 at 9:11 am

Cheri, the electric pot is only to boil the water, NOT to brew coffee or make oatmeal, etc. That happens in the coffee cups. Your kit should be two coffee cups, plus one cup with two holes in it, and a little screen insert. Place the screen into the bottom of the cup with the holes. Sit the two coffee cups side-by-side and attach the cup with holes to their top so one hole is over each cup (there are slots/guides on the bottom of the cup with holes). This sets it up so your brewed coffee will drip into the cups. If you only want one cup of coffee, just put the cup with holes straight on top of the coffee cup. THEN, put ground coffee into the top cup (you have the screen at the bottom). Pour boiling water over the grounds. And let it sit, and drip. When the liquid is gone from the top cup, your coffee is brewed. good luck!

14 Cheri September 8, 2011 at 4:44 am

i just found one and i am leaving on a mission trip and i can’t figure out how to use it .I have all the parts, but i do not know where to put the coffee grounds.I tried it once and failed, i had grounds everywhere. HELP i leave soon.Blessings, cheri

15 Worth The Whisk August 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hi Judy, I don’t sell this myself. You need to dig around online to find one, but once you do, SNAP IT UP. It’s a keeper. Good luck.

16 Judy Roberts August 18, 2011 at 4:12 am

please share with me the cost and how to purchase the Travel Drip Coffee Pot.
Judy Roberts

17 Worth The Whisk August 14, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Barbara, best bet would probably be ebay or keep googling. I love mine but am sure it will wear out one day soon, too.

18 Barbara Matula August 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Does anyone know where I can get this? Mine is on its last legs.

Barb

19 Peter Murtaugh February 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I just got one at a thrift store in Ann Arbor. It took me a minute to figure out the what & where & your site helped! All I want is the hot water capabilities (office tea), but it seems like such a great unit.

thanks for the assistance,
pete

20 Amy January 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi ya’ll!

I found one of these at an estate sale and I snatched it for $2.00. I love this thing! It appears all the pieces are there, but no manual. I did find a link that has a downloadable manual. I hope this helps 😉

21 Jessi November 21, 2010 at 10:26 am

They took away our water cooler at work (buget cuts) and so I’ve missed the tea I used make with it. Now I can quickly heat water at my desk and bring a bottle of filtered water from home. I don’t trust the water quality in the building (we’re build on a old toxic waste site, and our air vents are located right next to a working dry cleaner) so I don’t want to use the hot water from the tap.

22 Worth The Whisk November 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Jessi, I am a big fan, too. I guess now that so many hotels have coffee pots in-room, they couldn’t sell enough of them. But international travel, BEST little companion.

23 Jessi November 18, 2010 at 12:52 pm

About the taste – none I can tell! And it heats to a full boil in under 4 minutes. Mine seems to be made of better plastic than the more modern portable hot water pot I bought a few years back. I’m sensitive to that plastic smell – and was worried myself. It seems fine.

24 Jessi November 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Oh, and mine is called a Norelco Hot-Stuff – it’s white plastic, with blue lettering – but it and the accessories look exactly like yours. The box looks circa 1980 ALL The way.

25 Worth The Whisk November 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Jessi, just for cleanup purposes in hotel rooms, I only use the pot to make things that take boiling water (oatmeal, coffee, tea, cup o soup) in the coffee cups. For cleanup purposes.

26 Jessi November 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Great! That’s what I thought. I looked all over the web for info about it after I bought it from the thrift store – and your site was the only reference I could find. The box shows cooking soup & chili (no manual included) in the container. But I figure that this is really for heating water to ADD to stuff in the cup.

27 Worth The Whisk November 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm

You fit the drip cup over the drinking cup (look underneath and you can see how to put the cups into the slots). Then fit the filter down into the drip cup. THEN put the grounds on top the filter and add boiling water. You do not make the coffee inside the boiling pot, you drip it into the cups.

28 Worth The Whisk November 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm

OMG, Jessi you lucky duck!!

29 Jessi November 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Now that I have one – tell me! Do you put the coffee filter with the grounds into the water before you boil it, or after? I am guessing after, so that you keep the pot clean.

30 Jessi November 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Just found one in it’s box for $3.00 US at a thrift store!

31 Worth The Whisk November 8, 2010 at 8:13 am

Sherri – between E-bay and Google, that’s where I find pretty much any challenging item like this little gem.

32 Sherri November 8, 2010 at 12:31 am

I’m a flight attendant, and I have used one of these for years! I absolutely love it! This is truly a godsend to me, and I really need to find a new one, as mine has parts missing and has finally bitten the dust. I’ve seen that they are now very hard to find, so any hints as to where to buy a new one would be much appreciated!

33 Worth The Whisk October 11, 2010 at 11:55 am

Judith, I don’t exactly have an answer about taste interference because, when I use this, it is in lieu of good drip coffee at our destination. The photo is from Barbados and our room came with a kitchenette, so we were cooking a lot more than eating in the restaurant. So, the answer is, the coffee is better than NO COFFEE. LOL And we use it a lot for instant oatmeal and other things to stave off hunger at odd jetlagged hours.

34 Judith King October 11, 2010 at 9:23 am

Does the plastic interior interfere with the taste? Like the difference between a metal travel mug and a plastic lined one? Or am I the only freakydeaky who can taste this?

35 Worth The Whisk May 17, 2010 at 8:54 am

Sandi – is it the exact same model as mine here?

36 Sandi May 16, 2010 at 7:21 am

Just bought one of these……no instructions……perhaps I can figure it out…but would like to take the easy way out and see how in print and picture…..

37 Worth The Whisk April 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Kate – like minds! Back in the day when airplane food was fairly decent, Julia Child traveled with her own food, too.

38 Kate April 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I travel with boxes of fruit juice and muesli bars – really as a budgetry thing – children constantly ask for food and then immediately want a drink ! Even going to Vanuatu in June with one 18 year old daughter I will still do this !

39 The Rowdy Chowgirl April 18, 2010 at 1:15 pm

This looks brilliant! I bring my french press on car trips, but it’s not really practical to fly with. Or go on safari with!

40 Jill Silverman Hough April 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

My grandmother had one of these, like, 20 years ago! It was genius back then – so glad it’s still available.

41 Kelly April 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That is very cool. I guess I haven’t become as much of a road warrior yet as I have nothing like this but it looks unusual and handy!