How to Make a Logo Apron

Iron On Apron Logo

Iron-On-ApronThis custom logo apron is a one-of-a-kind. Cuz I made only one. Being a longtime marketer, sometimes there are opportunities when I really want to “wear” my blog identification. It only takes three things:

Here are tricks to help not waste a few labels before getting the hang of it.

1. Wash and iron your apron first.
  2. Place it on a flat, heat-resistant surface that is more solid than an ironing board. Using scratch paper, cut out a stand-in size logo to decide what size works best.
  3. Open your logo art in a program like Microsoft Publisher to play with it. Create a border if it doesn’t have one (see my banner at the very top of this page, no border? See apron = border). Without a border to cut around, you see the hazy transparent background and it doesn’t look as good.
  4. The background of my logo is transparent. See how you can see the stripes thru my logo? I was OK with that.
  5. Once you have your artwork the correct size and layout, print out a scratch paper copy, cut it out and place in the right spot on your apron. Draw a few pencil dots to help you align the real one.
  6. Here is the important point – now on the computer, REVERSE your logo artwork, flip it so it is backwards. Print the backwards logo onto the transparency sheet, cut it out, and then you will see that when you iron it on, it is face-up.
  7. If you are nervous about the perfect outcome, do a test run on the back of your apron behind the pocket, it will be invisible.

1 Worth The Whisk April 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Stacy, great advice. Readers… pay attention!

2 Stacy April 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I made t-shirt as a gift this Christmas and my printer program actually had transfer labels as a printing choice. I chose it thinking it would turn out better, like choosing glossy or matte for photo paper printing, depending on what you have. Canon must know what they are doing, right? Turns out the issue wasn’t the actual printing at all. Following the instructions from the Avery package, I had duly flipped my design, then the printer flipped it again, since I had chosen transfer label. So make sure to print a test on normal paper first so as not to waste the transfer label!

3 Nour El-Zibdeh April 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Cool idea… maybe I’ll make one too. I already have the paper at home 🙂

4 Worth The Whisk April 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

Yup, that is our Easter ham there. Your family was all over our house that day!

5 elise April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

so cute!! i hope you wore that on Easter!

6 Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks April 6, 2010 at 11:05 am

Yesterday, I had this very thought in mind as I put on my apron to avoid spattering sofrito.

7 Jill Silverman Hough April 6, 2010 at 9:07 am

Fantastic – and easy! – idea, Patti! I’m going to pass it on to all my cooking teacher cohorts!

8 Worth The Whisk April 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I asked Larry if that photo made me look fat; he was sorry he didn’t answer quick enough. LOL

9 Kelly April 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Very cute. That is also a very flattering picture of you. 🙂 I’ve always wanted to do more stuff like this. My grandmother also has an embroidery machine so I’ve wondered if there is a way to program in my logo.

10 Worth The Whisk April 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm

My package is from a project at least five years ago. Worked just great.

11 Chris April 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Very good idea. I actually have those iron on pages from Avery from a project that we ended up not doing. They are probably 2 years old, I doubt they go “bad”.

12 Worth The Whisk April 5, 2010 at 10:10 am

Brilliant idea, Erika! Putting that on the agenda, working up something fun here for the “next” one at world headquarters of Worth The Whisk, LOL.

13 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen April 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

Patti – I vote we have this as our hands-on activity at the next FBLA (Food Bloggers LA) meeting! I want a logo apron too!