Crockpot Overnight Apple Oatmeal

Crockpot Oatmeal 768x1024 Crockpot Overnight Apple OatmealMy friend, Cathi, and I email each other almost daily with our activities, and our menus. At some point, I told her a cousin was staying overnight and I needed to remember to set the crockpot for oatmeal. WAA?? She flipped. Cathi’s family has a to-die-for cabin in Big Bear, the type of place that setting the crockpot for oatmeal before going to bed would be part of the bucolic picture. How she never did this before, I don’t know. But she sure does it now.

I’m just thrilled with the fact that steel cut oatmeal can be easy to make. Waking up to the aroma of hot cinnamon and apples is lovely — breakfast is ready even before the coffee perks! This recipe includes fruit and nuts, healthy. It produces very thick oatmeal, not creamy however. Go ahead and double the quantities, if you want. I actually quadrupled it for a weekend in the mountains, worked great.

Crockpot Overnight Apple Oatmeal

• 3/4 cup steel cut oats (oatmeal)
  • 1 cup chunky applesauce (Trader Joes is perfect)
  • 1-1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Stir all together in a small crockpot (mine holds 12 cups, which I guess is “medium” sized). Cover and set to LOW, cook 8 hours. Makes 4 servings.

pixel Crockpot Overnight Apple Oatmeal

1 Kyra (Scribbles & Sprinkles) January 21, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I love cooking a large batch in my rice cooker, but I’ve never tried the slow cooker! I must try this recipe soon :)

2 Stacy January 7, 2013 at 6:07 am

Thanks! Will be making this weekend for everyone…I’m sure it will smell beautiful waking up to warm, homemade oatmeal! :)

3 Worth The Whisk January 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Stacy, yes that is what I mean, steel cut oats.

4 Stacy January 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm

When you state 3/4 c “steel cut oatmeal” in your recipe, do you mean “steel cut oats?”

5 Worth The Whisk February 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Susan, it was a JOY to spend our time together at Rancho La Puerta. I am busy writing about the adventure, so make sure and check back. And DO let me know your thoughts about the oatmeal. Love you!

6 susan parks February 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hi Patti,
It was great chatting with you over some memorable dinners at Rancho La Puerta last week. I plan to make the crockpot oatmeal tonight. I just have to get the dustballs out of the crockpot before I start, I am not sure that they would add anything special to the dish.
Take care,
Susan Parks

7 Holly September 16, 2010 at 8:05 am

Steel-cut oats are made by cutting the oat kernel into chunks. In the U.S., Quaker-type oatmeal (both quick-cooking and regiular) is made byrolling and flattening the kernel between rollers, so you end up with flakes. Steel-cut oats retain their chunkiness when cooked.

8 Michelle March 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I have some steel cut oatmeal in the pantry that I’d forgotten about until reading this… I know what we’re having for breakfast this weekend!

9 Worth The Whisk February 20, 2010 at 10:21 am

Patti comments: Hi Bron, do you have Irish Oats in Australia? Not quick cooking. Our cannister (see in the back of the photo) is a “product of Ireland,” 100% wholegrain Irish oats.

10 Worth The Whisk February 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

Patti comments: also known as Irish Oats. See the white/gold/black cannister in the back? Maybe you will recognize it on the store shelf.

11 Kathlyne Barnum February 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Dumb question for such an easy sounding recipe…what is steel cut oatmeal?

12 BRONWYN HICKMAN February 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hi Patti, will be giving this one a go with Autumn around the corner.BUT, what the hec is “steel cut oatmeal”? I think maybe a quick cooking oat? Finer cut than regular? Obviously an americanism??!! We call it porridge here, so it will get a name change for the Kiwi/Aussie palete.
You will be warming up now I guess, few spring flowers arriving?Look forward to hearing from you,Cheers Bronwyn