Andersen’s Pea Soup

Andersons Pea Soup Andersen’s Pea SoupPea Soup Andersen’s is a California classic for road trippers up beautiful Highway 101. Heading to our Santa Ynez wine country, setting for the movie, Sideways? Visiting the showstopper Hearst Castle? Blasting thru from LA to SFO? Pull off in Buellton for a bathroom break and incredibly luscious all-you-can-eat split pea soup.

I love the Happee and Peewee chef characters who “split the peas;” they are emblazoned on soup bowls, coffee cups, signs and a photo opp cutout in the restaurant’s parking lot. You can even buy the dried split peas with recipe in their gift shop.

Larry knows I jones for that soup when we drive thru. Then, two problems arise (1) always burn the roof of my mouth because I never wait for the soup to cool and (2) eat waaaay too much… then, back in the car… nawfunnee. Tour busses stop there; imagine THAT long ride in a giant gas factory.

Two other asides: the Pea Soup Andersen’s restaurant in Carlsbad, California, is gone now. And my 10-year-old Jaguar is the COLOR of that soup.

Sure, a hambone leftover from a big meal could find its way into this soup, but theirs is the classic – vegan– recipe:

Hap Pea trans 3 Andersen’s Pea SoupOriginal Recipe for 8 bowls of Andersen’s Famous Split Pea Soup

• 2 quarts of soft water
  • 2 cups of Andersen’s Specially Selected Green Split Peas
  • 1 branch of celery, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground thyme
  • 1 pinch of cayenne
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt & pepper

Boil hard for 20 minutes, then slowly until peas are tender. Strain through fine sieve and reheat to boiling point.

Pea Soup Andersens Cutout2 Andersen’s Pea Soup

Andersen’s Pea Soup

pixel Andersen’s Pea Soup

1 peggy August 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thank you. I will Goggle. If I find one I will share it, OK?

2 Worth The Whisk August 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Peggy, sorry but I never tried to get the onion bread recipe. I’ll bet if you google around, you will find it. Would be YUMMY, my guess.

3 peggy August 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Were you able to get the reciipe for the onion bread that Bobbie requested? (Nov 6 2009) If so could you send it to me?.
In years past we lived in So Cal and stopped at Anderson’s without question. Great memory. (In spite of the gas) I just found a epasote plant and am going to put a little sprig in the soup recipe and maybe cut back on the cramps.

4 Phyllisia February 11, 2011 at 6:23 am

There is another Andersen’s off I-5 in Santanella, CA as well. It’s the half way point between Redding and LA. :)

5 Sally January 21, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’ve had the Andersen’s recipe since I lived in Santa Barbara in the mid 1960′s. My recipe also calls for 2 qts. of “soft” water. I wonder why? Do split peas not cook down as well in hard water? I’ve never bothered with this and the soup has always turned out fine. But I remember in Santa Barbara, everyone had a water softener attached to
their water system.

6 jen November 18, 2009 at 8:26 pm

That’s awesome!! i haven’t been there since I was a kid but it was a regular stop for us!!! thanks for sharing this!

7 Cathy November 8, 2009 at 5:22 am

But where do you get the “Andersen’s specially selected green split peas”?
Patti comments: at their gift store. Otherwise, just a bag of green split peas from the grocery store. This was their recipe, so I published as-is.

8 Bettie November 6, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I’ve never been a fan of split pea soup. It is often too thick and salty. So, I find mixing split peas with lentils and adding ham or panchetta it has a whole new taste. To make it less thick just add a little more broth. I guess then you’d have to call it split pea and lentil soup! Enjoy!

9 Judith King November 6, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Ah, but you haven’t lived until you’ve tried the original Habitant Pea Soup, made with yellow peas. Yes, the original French Canadian delight. Here’s my recipe:

1 package dried yellow peas (can be found in most supermarkets)
water to cover
1 large onion, chopped
1 large ham bone / or 3 smoked turkey wings (less fatty)
Pinch of ground cloves / or 3 actual cloves
1 large carrot

Add the chopped carrot after the soup has boiled down and, like Elvis, the meat has left the bone.

10 willene lawson November 6, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Sounds great, I didn’t have a recipe so I made it yesteday by directions on pea package,cooking time about the same, I just added smokey bacon, salt and pepper, didn’t strain and it was delicious, will try the origional one next time. Thanks Love this site!!!

11 Bobbie November 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Yum! I’m making this. Any chance you would have the onion bread recipe? I ate it some 45 years ago and it is still in my memory.

12 callie November 6, 2009 at 2:50 am

thanks for the recipe! i adore anderson’s and can’t wait to try this!