How to Make Pots de Crème The Lazy Way

Pots-de-creme1This is positively YUMM-O.  I say yumm-o because Rachael Ray made this on Oprah.  I used to watch Oprah religiously (now, she may have jumped the shark… we’ll discuss that another time).  Rachael was talking my language:  Chocolate.  Easy.  Decadent.  Mom’s Recipe (any TV cook who features a recipe of their mom’s means that dish is really good).  She called this Chocolate Cups with Whipped Cream, but I was thinking, “it looks like Pots de Crème.”

Technically, pots de crème is a “very rich, baked custard, commonly chocolate” (sez Wikipedia).  But you’d be hard pressed to argue as you lick your way to the bottom.  This is a blender recipe, not baked for even a sec.  Boiling-hot milk is poured into whirring egg and chocolate and rum, which cooks the egg enough so when you chill it, you have les Pots.

As she threw it together (I’m drawn to recipes you can throw together) she held my attention long enough to go online and print it out.  And then I forgot to make it.  This past weekend changed that.  Whilst eating too much at a dinner party at Ricki and John’s house, I spied THIS TEACUP (photo).  You might recognize it from a liqueur ad campaign several years ago.  Ricki said, “those cups are really great for chocolate pudding.”

So I borrowed Ricki’s teacup and Rachael’s inspiration.  Her version has whipped cream on top and a few other ingredients I decided to skip.  Turned out so well, a few days later I made another batch for a dinner party for five.  I “disappointed” our guests when I placed a tiny cup in front of them; it looked like “not enough” until the first uber-rich bite.  And the last lick.

Pots de Crème The Lazy Way

Recipe inspired by Rachael Ray’s Chocolate Cups with Whipped Cream

• 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp. dark rum

In a small pan, heat milk over moderate heat until it just comes to a boil.  Meanwhile, place egg, sugar, salt, chocolate chips and rum in the blender, pulse it about 8 times or until chocolate chips are broken up just a bit.  When the milk boils, remove from heat, turn the blender on low and drizzle the hot milk through the lid opening.  Blend about 1 minute or until smooth.  Pour into four or five serving cups.  Refrigerate several hours.  Serves 4 or 5.

1 Worth The Whisk June 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Nadia, I am truly sorry for the wasted ingredients by my poor recipe editing. I’ve made the fix in the recipe, thank you for your comment.

2 Nadia June 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

It said 2/3 cups of milk – plural, so I used 2-3 cups & wasted all those ingredients . Please correct the grammar so nobody else makes the same mistake 🙁

3 HelenB April 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I love salted caramel, so I made caramel sauce and topped the pots de creme with a dollop of caramel, then fleur de sel. Big hit!

4 amee February 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

Patti should charge for this recipe. it’s that good and sooo easy.. it takes me longer to make toast in the morning. The only thing i did differently is that i doubled it for 8 people and I used mini chocolate chips instead of regular size. then, before adding the milk, i ran the blender for a few seconds until it became a pretty smooth mixture. then with the blender running, i added the just-shy-of-boiling milk as she suggests in the instructions… the dark rum is a MUST i think…
pour in the cups/ramekins.
it starts to set pretty quickly as long as you added the milk “boiled and then cooled slightly”…after an hour in the fridge, i gave the bowls a little gently nudge and there was no shaking or swishing going on. so i knew it was going to happen. then i topped it with rosewater flavored whipped cream.

5 Worth The Whisk July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

Diane, I practically lick the computer monitor every time I see that dessert.

6 Diane {Created by Diane} July 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

looks rich and chocolaty to me 🙂

7 Jean Duren January 30, 2011 at 6:04 pm

This recipe was so quick and easy–just as you claimed. More important it was luscious. I have added it to my files and plan to use it again. Thanks for sharing.

8 Worth The Whisk April 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Andrea – WOW, a “triple” success! Go for the rum, girlfriend…

9 Andrea April 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Oh My!!! We had a Christmas party to go to and I offered to bring dessert. I quadrupled the recipe and as we walked in with a giant tray of clear cups with the chocolate and whipped cream (of course I decorated with small mint leaves and bits of candied fruit to mock holly) we could hear the oohs and ahhs. That didn’t need to happen but we were happy that our contribution went over so well. Thank you! I’m about to do this again for my bible study group…triple recipe AND rum!!

10 Gretchen February 19, 2010 at 11:37 am

Made these before going to work this morning, for a dinner party tonight that my husband sprang on me LAST NIGHT. I doubled it and used Cointreau. One thing off the list. Wonder what else is for dinner…

11 Bettie Infante January 26, 2010 at 7:48 am

Hi, made this last night for my husband’s birthday…delicious! I used unsweetened vanilla soy milk and no rum and it was thick and creamy. I want to try it with coffee liquor and 1 Tablespoon of sugar next time. Thanks!

12 Alyce January 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Hi, I’m from Australia and I had the exact same problem, I had this in the fridge for about 12 hours and it NEVER set. It set a little on top but underneath was exactly the same as what I had poured out of the blender. We still ate it and it was very yum, but too I wonder what the difference is because it would be great if I could get this to work properly! 🙂

13 BRONWYN HICKMAN December 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Hi Patti, not sure what Ive done wrong, Im blaming the conversion of American ingrediants to Aussie ones. Its been in the fridge for 6 hours and only set around the edges!!Maybe our choc is different??Anyway Im sure family will consume regardless!Wishing you and Larry a very merry xmas, lovely to read letter.Cheers Bronwyn
Patti comments: Hey, dear Aussie friend Bronwyn, the HOT milk literally cooks the egg in the blender, that’s the “binder” when it chills solid. The chocolate could be the culprit, or too much milk via the conversion. Love to your family Down Under.

14 Altum September 23, 2009 at 5:58 am

Just whipped this up using dark chocolate and only 1 tbsp of dark rum!! YUMMY!!!
Oh, used 2% milk too. I think I filled my cups too full, only got three. I am sure you could double this for a crowd.;

15 BethieofVA September 19, 2009 at 7:48 am

16 Gretchen September 18, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I made this with 1% and it was super rich and good. I used orange liqueur. Next time I want to try milk chocolate chips.

17 Hugging the Coast September 9, 2009 at 10:49 am

Delicious, and well photographed too!

18 Stephanie September 6, 2009 at 8:13 am

OMG! I’ve hit the jack-pot (pun intended)! I’ve been DYING to find a “lazy’man’s” Pots de Crème cuz i love the stuff soo much! Your recipe as well as Carole’s comments above ROCK! I’m all over this! Thanks for sharing!

19 Carole September 5, 2009 at 10:37 am

Gourmet magazine ran a no sugar added version of this in 1969. As follows: 6 oz choc bits, 2 eggs, 3 T strong hot coffee, 1-2 T rum or orange liqueur (I usually dont use) and 3/4 cup scalded milk. Blend at high 2 mins and refigerate in 4 desert dishes. Gourmet called it Quick Chocolate Mousse.

20 Cattaliya September 4, 2009 at 10:43 am

I think I will have to make these, but maybe with the vanilla or mint flavoring so the kids can sample!

21 Gretchen September 2, 2009 at 1:06 pm

If I make this do I have to entertain guests? Or can I have them all to myself? Does it keep in the fridge okay?
Patti comments: (1) no act of kindness goes unpunished, so you don’t need to entertain to make some. (2) it keeps in the fridge just fine… even uncovered… with a spoon in it… for a few days. Only thing that happens is, it disappears.

22 Candice September 2, 2009 at 9:38 am

I used the 1% milk and it turned out just fine!
Patti comments: GOODY, I will be right over!

23 Jessica September 2, 2009 at 7:12 am

YUM-O! I love Rachael Ray and her accessible recipes! Cute cup too! Reminds me of the musical paraphernalia they sell by Broadway in NY!

24 Jada September 1, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Yum! I have that mug too!

25 Susan September 1, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I just made this very recipe yesterday! It is so good. I have made it several times in the past and have used half and half and 2% milk and it works fine. For flavoring I use 2 tsp of vanilla and it’s perfect for me, but you can use any other flavoring you like. I bet Kaluha, or an orange liquer or Chambord raspberry liquer would be good too, so play around with flavorings.

26 Jen @ MaplenCornbread September 1, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Oh this is just fabulous, quick and totally fool-proof! great pics!

27 Jan September 1, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I am wondering if this would be okay without the rum. I don’t care for liqueur flavor if the chocolate is good.
Patti comments: I’d say it does need SOME other flavor in there, otherwise it’s just chocolate chips. Maybe a splash of orange extract. Or mint extract – just the tiniest amount, I’d say.

28 BethieofVA September 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Ooooo, I am making this!! Bookmarked.

29 Candice September 1, 2009 at 1:06 pm

What do you think would happen if I substituted 1% milk? That’s all I ever have in the house and would hate to buy whole milk just to make this… because then I would make this five times. LOL

Would the lower fat content screw up the consistency?
Patti comments: I think it would be fine. There’s plenty of fat from the chocolate chips and egg yolk, anyway. This stuff is so rich, it might even be better with 1%. Let me know how it comes out.

30 dimpleartsphotography September 1, 2009 at 9:56 am

I love this presentation. The chocolate creme looks very tasty. But I just can’t get over the cup. It’s fabulous, with a perfect touch of “Yum”.

31 Woman with a Whisk September 1, 2009 at 9:21 am

These look so decadent, yet so easy. I’ll try these at our next dinner party!