Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

Post image for Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

Schaum-TortesHappy birthday to my mom, Gloria.  She used to make us Schaum Tortes.

laughing_edited-2 Googling around, I had a laugh reading, “Unless you’re from Wisconsin, you won’t know what a Schaum Torte is.”  I’m a native Californian who ate a lot of ‘em but that makes sense… both my folks are from Wisconsin.  Mom, a Kewaunee farm girl, hit sunny LA as a lanky young beauty and working gal.  She, her sister and finally their mom settled in happen’ Hollywood.  Marriage and five daughters ensued; she’s worked just about all her life, still does.  That didn’t leave much time or energy to be a Julia Child-wannabe.  Key to my mom’s cooking: efficiency and economy.

Mom made plenty of Schaum Tortes during our Strawberry Field Free Grab episode.  Cheap, easy to prepare and really sweet, this was a miracle recipe.  Martha Stewart Magazine calls these delicate, airy treats Meringues.  Elsewhere, when called Pavlova, the whole recipe is made as one big one.  Top with wonderful things, chop into portions and yum.

Schaum Tortes are individual (maybe Wisconsonians also make one honkin’ Schaum, not sure).  If you can whip eggs to a froth, you’ve got it down.  Shape them into serving vessels, bake, cool, then spoon on fruit, jam, ice cream, fudge sauce, whipped cream or a combo of those.

TIP: When you separate your eggs, watch that not even a speck of yolk gets in there.  You also need a super clean mixing bowl.  Even the tiniest bit of fat will prevent your egg whites from whipping up properly.

Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

• 6 egg whites
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.  In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and vinegar, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).  Add vanilla and sugar a little at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form.  Make twelve tortes on greased and floured cookie sheets (I use Bakers Joy) using the back of the spoon to build up sides and dent the middle.

Bake for 50 minutes.  Then turn off the oven, leave undisturbed and allow meringues to sit with the door closed for 1 more hour.  Loosen tortes from cookie sheets before they are cold.  Makes 12.

1 Worth The Whisk August 23, 2016 at 2:41 pm

June, sorry to report I have never frozen them. But I would imagine it would be a bad idea, as they would most likely turn to mush. Eat them fresh and often.

2 Worth The Whisk August 23, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Chris, in my experience, Schaum Tortes are to be eaten right then and there, no storing any.

3 Susan R August 21, 2016 at 12:44 pm

My mom was also from Wisconsin, and she generally made schaum torte for my birthday in July. It does bring back wonderful memories. Interestingly, every schaum torte I’ve ever seen was made in a springform pan, so we never had the individual serving style that you grew up with. And when I was introduced to the Pavlova it was in the individual meringues.
Just recently, my book club hostess served a similar dish, but with peaches instead of strawberries, and made in a pie dish. She was given the recipe by a friend who grew up with that version in Nebraska.

4 Joe Meyers August 19, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I lived in Wisconsin my first 18 years–born in Milwaukee and educated in a tiny village near Manitowoc. Schaum torte was the birthday cake for everyone in the family, year after year. It’s still a tradition in my own household decades later.

We made it out of the Settlement Cookbook, a classic collection of recipes first published in 1901. My Mom cooked out of it constantly. I am on my third copy. (Wore out and splattered the first two.) It is still my go-to cookbook, alongside the older version of the Joy of Cooking.

We would serve slices of the crisp-yet-gooey torte with fresh or frozen strawberries and whipped cream. Calorie-rich and decadent. Once a year per person–who cares!

5 Chris Yehle August 18, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Should I refrigerate the soft egg white once it is baked. The hard egg white tops I just put in plastic bags and keep in pantry.

6 June August 14, 2016 at 8:47 am

Can you tell me if these freeze well? Thanks. June

7 Cindy Karstaedt August 6, 2016 at 10:49 am

Yum Good!

8 Susan July 9, 2016 at 1:15 pm

So glad I found your site. We have fond memories of good friends and great meals ending with fabulous strawberry schaum torte in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Have lived all over the country since and haven’t seen it anywhere else. I plan to make this dessert for our next family get together. Thanks for the memories!