Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

Schaum Tortes Wisconsin Schaum TortesHappy birthday to my mom, Gloria.  She used to make us Schaum Tortes.

laughing edited2 thumb Wisconsin Schaum Tortes Googling around, I had a laugh reading, “Unless you’re from Wisconsin, you won’t know what a Schaum Torte is.”  I’m a native Californian who ate a lot of ‘em but that makes sense… both my folks are from Wisconsin.  Mom, a Kewaunee farm girl, hit sunny LA as a lanky young beauty and working gal.  She, her sister and finally their mom settled in happen’ Hollywood.  Marriage and five daughters ensued; she’s worked just about all her life, still does.  That didn’t leave much time or energy to be a Julia Child-wannabe.  Key to my mom’s cooking: efficiency and economy.

Mom made plenty of Schaum Tortes during our Strawberry Field Free Grab episode.  Cheap, easy to prepare and really sweet, this was a miracle recipe.  Martha Stewart Magazine calls these delicate, airy treats Meringues.  Elsewhere, when called Pavlova, the whole recipe is made as one big one.  Top with wonderful things, chop into portions and yum.

Schaum Tortes are individual (maybe Wisconsonians also make one honkin’ Schaum, not sure).  If you can whip eggs to a froth, you’ve got it down.  Shape them into serving vessels, bake, cool, then spoon on fruit, jam, ice cream, fudge sauce, whipped cream or a combo of those.

TIP: When you separate your eggs, watch that not even a speck of yolk gets in there.  You also need a super clean mixing bowl.  Even the tiniest bit of fat will prevent your egg whites from whipping up properly.

Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

• 6 egg whites
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.  In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and vinegar, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).  Add vanilla and sugar a little at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form.  Make twelve tortes on greased and floured cookie sheets (I use Bakers Joy) using the back of the spoon to build up sides and dent the middle.

Bake for 50 minutes.  Then turn off the oven, leave undisturbed and allow meringues to sit with the door closed for 1 more hour.  Loosen tortes from cookie sheets before they are cold.  Makes 12.

120x20 su gray Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

pixel Wisconsin Schaum Tortes

{ 1 trackback }

Awesome Things I Didn't Write 11/18 - Determined Momma
November 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

1 Christine April 13, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I’m from Appelton and aunts grandmas and my mom all made Shaum Torte each a little different but always 2 disks and layered with berries and whipped cream. Raspberries was the summer version or peaches while spring use strawberries. I use parchment paper and the turn off the oven method. For Easter I’m making my own pasta with 6 egg yolks so I then have 6 egg whites. I now live in Florida and have been gone from Wisconsin for 50 years but childhood is always something to go back to through good food. Thank you for your recipe.

2 Judy December 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I made mine this year about a week before Christmas. I store them like my mom did…in a tall tin container, the kind popcorn comes in. They have always kept well like this.

3 Worth The Whisk December 19, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Patty, weather affects meringues and makes them sticky within a day if the air is damp. I would only make up to a day ahead or so for best results.

4 Patty December 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

Does anyone know how long they will last? Still almost a week before Christmas, do I need to wait till a day ahead of time. When my mom made them, with 8 kids they were all gone that night after dinner. I would love to surprise my siblings since I am hosting this year. Middleton WI all German grandparents :)

5 Judy December 14, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m from Wisconsin and love to eat schaum torte like a cookie, just plain! My mom always made schaum tortes for Christmas and now I do the same.

6 Worth The Whisk September 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Evie, schaum tortes (from my experience) are very light with a delicate crunch, not hard to cut with a fork.

7 Evie Andersen September 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am confused as I purchased 8 schaum tortes from a bakery and I served them and found out that they were hard to cut and eat with a fork….I use to make them and I do not remember they were so hard to cut a bite with a fork….why were they that hard from a bakery….I should have made my own….

8 Colleen July 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I haven’t made these in over 20 years. My grandmother and mother were from Milwaukee, and this was always a VERY special summer treat. I had seven egg whites in the refrigerator, but after finding your post, they are now Schaum Tortes baking in the oven. Thank you so much!

9 Joan June 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thank you for posting this, I am from Cedar Grove WI and my Auntie Joyce used to be the Schaum Torte maker in the family and it was always a treat. When I was out and picked up fresh raspberries today I thought how great they would be with a schaum torte, so thanks. This will be another new experience from my childhood for my children.

10 Marsha March 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

I am from Watertown, WI and now I live in Las Vegas! My grandmother used to make an un-baked schaum torte. I cannot find her recipe or one online. If anyone has one, please email it! If I remember right, it was made with egg whites, sugar and gelatin, etc. She would put it in an angel food pan to set in the refridgerator. We would slice it like cake and put fruit and whip cream on. The recipe is probably 60 plus years old! Help! Thank you.

11 Karen February 21, 2013 at 6:41 am

LOVE Schaum Tortes! Love them with all of the fabulous different topping combinations. Fabulous memories of growing up in Waukesha, WI. People here in MN have no clue what I am talking about. My mom used to put a different spin on it at Christmas time by adding crushed candy cane to them and creating little spoon sized dollops on the pan. Perfect size for holiday cookies and people loved them! They were light and sweet ( but not overly sweet), and they were a nice break from all of the super rich and overly sweet Christmas cookies everyone else served.

12 Michelle February 12, 2013 at 8:12 am

Thank you for posting this recipe and comments. Yep, it must be a Wisconsin thing!! We are from Racine and Beloit Wisconsin. My mom always made these for Valentine’s day with strawberries and whipped cream. My father was from Germany.

13 Ann Wink December 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm

What fun to find “Wisconsin Shaum Torte”….yeah for the internet!!
I too am from Wisconsin…Oshkosh. Looking through my German grandmother’s old recipe box, I found shaum torte. It’s the same ingredients, but she would put them in muffin tins in a 350 degree oven turn. Then turn it off and let stand in the over for 1 hour. These were always a big hit in the summer with strawberries and also served at my mother’s bridge club!!!
What fond memories….

14 Joyce Law July 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You made my day. I am a Milwaukee girl living in the Canadian north. We are having a heat wave (unusual up here). I was thinking of making Schaum tortes for a special dessert tonight. My mother, was a beauty like yours, and made magnificent Schaum tortes and many other tasty desserts for her large family. Thank you for taking me back in time to a simpler and sweeter time. Perfect.
Joyce

15 Janie Watson June 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’m from Whitewater, and we ate schaum tortes all the time, being farmers and having a lot of eggs. However we’re Irish, and I thought this dessert came from the German influence around Milwaukee.

16 Dani January 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I too am from Wisconsin and can say that i get my share of schaum torte every Christmas. My uncle makes everyone a mini one for Christmas Eve and my grandma makes two giant schaum tortes for Christmas day (one banana and one strawberry). I was shocked to hear that nobody in my foods class knew what it was so i thought i’d try to make it for my final project… this post was definitely very helpful :D

17 Worth The Whisk November 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Judy, thanks to your comment I plan to make this again in a cake pan, WHOA yum.

18 judy monti November 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

my home town is Gleason, Wis. And my grandmother made the indivdual ones.

When we moved down here to Mayville, Wis. The ladies made it in a 9×12 cake pan heated the oven to 400 and turned it off and put the scham t orte in until oven was cold. It gets crusty on top and more like egg whites in the middle. And up north we served ours with just whip cream here they serve it with berries and cream I love it both ways.

19 Joy Clausen February 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm

WOW ! just the article and recipe I was looking for. My German Grandmother made these every Christmas. I too was born and raised in the Milwaukee area, but I never new it was just a “Wisconsin” thing, I thought “ALL GERMANS” new about Shaum Tortes. I am going to celebrate the memory of my grandma by making these Shaum tortes filled with strawberries on Valentine’s day. Thanks for the tips on the clean bowl and absolutely no yellows. I know these will be eaten fast, but just in case they don’t , how do you store them?

20 Patty December 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

My mom used to make these individual schaum tortes and I needed a picture to show my son what they looked like. I make ‘meringue’ Christmas cookies every year – just a smaller version of the real Wisconsin thing! :)

21 Tom December 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

Thanks.
I’d promised the family “Granny’s schaum torte” for Xmas, but could not find the recipe!

22 Worth The Whisk December 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Stephenie, that is pretty funny that the Great State of Texas has a fine German population. Glad these worked for you.

23 Stephenie December 12, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for posting this! It turned out perfectly. My mom always made this on one big pan..I never knew they could be done individually, but of course it made perfect sense when I saw them! :) She would make an entire pan, spoon the strawberry jam from my grossmutti and top with homemade whipped cream – then take it to the church pot luck or whatever was going on. Mom from Appleton, dad from Kaukauna, but we’ve been in Florida for the last 40 years. Just moved to San Antonio, Texas, where I’m pleased to report there is a booming German heritage!

24 Worth The Whisk November 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Laura, go Wisconsin! My sister is visiting there right now, promising to bring home Summer Sausage. Nobody here knows what that is, or probably wouldn’t eat it either.

25 Laura Mau November 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I’m from Milwaukee and my grandmother used to make us schaum tortes all the time- we put strawberries and whipped cream on top. I googled schaum tortes (can’t believe I knew how to spell it) because I wanted to make some with my son for a school project on his German heritage. I had no idea they were a Wisconsin delicacy as well! Thanks for sharing your recipe- I never could pry it out of my grandma. We’re going to make some this weekend and I can’t wait!

26 Worth The Whisk July 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Christy, ah those Wisconsonites. They keep the really good stuff a secret!

27 christy July 24, 2010 at 6:33 pm

my husband is from wisconsin and he couldn’t believe that i had never heard of them…then i visited his home town and had one with ice cream and strawberry sauce—and then i realized it was just a version of pavlova. i made them last night with pastry cream, mocha sauce, poached pears, toasted walnuts and whipped cream for a night at the hollywood bowl. delish!

28 Worth The Whisk May 6, 2010 at 8:01 am

Sheila – mine dry out just fine letting them stay in the hot oven with the temperture turned off, one hour.

29 Sheila Hanson May 6, 2010 at 7:46 am

My grand Aunt Ceil make Schaum big tortes that were cakes. I’ve made them too. However, it is really difficult to make a truly good one without a pilot light on the oven. We always left them overnight in the oven to allow them to dry out. The pilot light did the job. With these ‘modern’ ovens, how do you dry them out enough not to be sticky?

30 Anne Spackman May 5, 2010 at 11:14 am

My mouth is watering and my mind is full of happy memories. The Schaum Tortes migrated south to Illinois as meringues. One word of caution: if you make these on a very humid day the consistency can turn to that of chewing gum. But they’re still tasty!

31 lo February 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

FYI — As a Wisconsinite myself, I can verify that some of us make “one big Schaum torte,” so it’s more like a Pavlova. My grandmother made Schaum torte every year for Easter, and we covered ate big scoops of it covered with fresh strawberries.

These days, I keep up the tradition. I even do a chocolate version with raspberry topping on special occasions.

32 jackie August 17, 2009 at 8:43 pm

l love the picture of your mom…she looks carefree, young and happy…the world is her oyster…beautiful!!!!