Thelma’s Popovers

Thelmas-PopoversLarry makes his mom’s golden, airy popovers skillfully.  Some recipes in our household are his alone, and this is definitely one.  If I proclaimed a decision to make some popovers, fuggeddaboudit.  Not allowed.  He has his giant binder of recipes and I have mine.

My mother-in-law, Thelma is now 88 and doesn’t cook anymore.  A 50s kind of home cook, she was a SAHM for three kids and homemaker for husband, Elmer.  Could those two names – Thelma Daisy and Elmer Morris – be any funnier?  Both born in Los Angeles, which doesn’t seem to fit in our opinions.

Larry’s binder includes several index cards in his mom’s schoolbook-pretty handwriting.  Her popover recipe is simple, but outcome can be a little finicky if the weather isn’t right.  Today, perfect weather.  I think our monster gas oven bakes a better popover than our dainty electric – if you ever remodel, add both and you won’t regret it.  Plus, the secret weapon that cinches it: a tin with the right depth and slope for batter to POP.

Only four little ingredients and three short sentences produce crispy goodness.  Eat ‘em fast – Larry tops his with applesauce and cinnamon.  Mine plain.

Thelma’s Popovers

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, room temperature

Mix all ingredients.  Put in well-greased muffin pans* half full.  Bake 400 degrees F. for 35 minutes.

*Larry uses a six-serving popover tin.

1 Laura Snow February 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

can’t wait to try Larry’s popovers! Look wonderful; and we know Larry is a great cook and baker! Laura

2 kim July 22, 2009 at 7:59 am

I love popovers more than life itself. I grew up eating them at the Jordan Pond House in Bar Harbor, Maine. So delicious. Popover pans are pretty easy to find; Williams-Sonoma sells them. And yes, they definitely need to be consumed immediately! With butter! With jam! They’re also delicious savory – add some grated cheese to the top before you put them in the oven. Yum! Thanks for posting the recipe and the sweet story about your mother-in-law.

3 mochachocolatarita July 21, 2009 at 9:46 pm

wow! sounds doable, i have to try this asap

4 Cookie July 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

Question: do you have to eat these right away or are they still ok the next day?
Patti comments: eat right away. They get rubbery quickly. I ate a two-day-old one this morning and not so good.

5 Cookie July 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

I had no idea popovers were so simple or else I would’ve made them ages ago! Thanks!

6 Sarah Foerster July 20, 2009 at 3:28 pm

These are beautiful! WHERE did you ever find a popover pan? Nice lighting too!
Patti comments: Larry bought the pan at a gourmet cookware shop, most likely Sur la Table in Santa Monica, CA.

7 Gloria Mathys July 12, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I haven’t made a popover since Home Ec class in high school, and they never looked this good.