Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Glazed Lemon Pound CakeDo you have a go-to recipe that works for most occasions? Add Glazed Lemon Poundcake to your list. Hostess gift? Check. Dessert for potluck? Check. Neighbor thanks for taking in your mail? Check. Oops, I forgot a birthday? Check, check, check.

Hey, who doesn’t like lemon? It’s the Meg Ryan of fruits – sunny, homey, perky.

easter 220x300 Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Patti, Dad and big sis, Sue.

First, what makes this a go-to for me is that we have a temperamental lemon tree. It produces thick skinned, not so juicy, occasional fruit. I practically harvest each lemon as I see it, only one or two a week. Luckily, that is all that’s needed for this, along with the second go-to qualification: simple pantry staples. What you have here is a heckuva moist, dense and tangy cake.

My dad is a lemon-lover. Once, Larry was supposed to meet up with my dad at the local VA hospital to drive him home after an eye exam, but he was a no-show. Cell phone? Nope. Larry knew him well enough to check the cafeteria. Yup, a Lemon Danish run. My dad also had a girlfriend in high school named “Lemon.” That, in and of itself, is funny. Even the way my dad says LEMON today makes me laugh. Ya gotta love lemon.

Glazed Lemon Poundcake

• 1 cup sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Rind of one lemon (grated zest)
  • Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter.  Add the milk and eggs, blend together.  In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to the butter mixture and blend.  Add lemon rind.   Pour into loaf pan and bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  Remove pan to wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.  Using a wooden chopstick or similar tool, poke holes into the cake approximately every inch.  While still in pan and slightly warm, drizzle the top with glaze.  Once cool, remove from pan.

Glaze: 1/4 cup sugar and juice of one lemon plus a little pulp; mixed together.

lemon lovefest 2010 logo public Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

120x20 su gray Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

pixel Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

{ 3 trackbacks }

Taking to the Table Tuesday: Welcome Wagon
September 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm
Take to the Table Tuesday: Midsummer Night’s Pound Cake
August 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm
GLAZED LEMON | Kitchen Appliances & Accessories
July 16, 2011 at 3:03 am

1 She Paused 4 Thought December 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Just made this and it was really good!

2 Worth The Whisk November 30, 2011 at 8:02 am

Liz, it won’t be as puckery perfect with Meyer lemons, but still awesomelly delicious, in my opinion.

3 Liz Shumpes November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thanks, Patti! I’ve got lots of Meyer Lemons that are almost ready to use, and this cake sounds perfect! :)

4 Kathy - Panini Happy August 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm

This is just the type of dessert recipe I was looking for – items are already on hand, great flavors. Will be making this week!

5 lisa June 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm

HAHA! I love Gretchen’s comment! Patti, should one use powdered sugar for the glaze instead of granulated? Sounds yummy!

Patti comments: I’ve only used granulated sugar for this glaze.

6 Jill June 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm

We have a lemon GROVE, so I feel like I should always have something “lemony” ready when guests drop in. ‘Can’t wait to make this one! Everything Patti makes is DE-LISH! Thanks so much for sharing.

7 Liz June 29, 2009 at 2:47 pm

This sounds yummy! Quick question..I’m not a very experienced cook…does “lemon rind” mean the yellow zest from one whole lemon..or something else? Thanks–great blog!!!!!

Patti comments: yes, I was referring to the zest, I’ll fix the recipe, thanks for that.

8 Mary Lou Wittman June 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

I can’t wait to get home to make this Lemon Cake. Thanks for sharing it. mlw

9 Josephine June 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

We’ve got a tree with tons of lemons…more than we know what to do with. Will have to try this sometime soon. Really enjoying the blog. It truly has evolved since the earlier posts…this is certainly a great fit for you. Keep having fun.

10 Gretchen June 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Patti stole that recipe from HER SISTER GRETCHEN, who made it to get good grades in high school biology. Mr. Birrell even called our house to ask for the recipe, that’s how good it is.

Now I know why I haven’t been able to find that recipe since moving out of my college apartment, AWAY FROM PATTI.

Patti comments: never listen to Gretchen.