Killer Deviled Eggs

Post image for Killer Deviled Eggs

Killer Deviled EggAre you picnicking this July 4th? DEVILED EGGS, friends. “This recipe dates back to my mom’s grandmother,” Laura emailed.  In 2004, I wanted a “killer Deviled Egg” recipe because they are a favorite of mine and friend, Laura claimed her mother’s method was the best.  She was right, and her signature dish morphed into mine.  This simple recipe wasn’t easy to get, she had to call her mother several times to get the amounts down because her mom was “a little of this, a little of that” kind of cook.

Few things are as easy to make as Deviled Eggs, especially with one of these little automatic egg cookers.  Every weekend, I hard-cook a half-dozen eggs to get me through the week.  The moment I finished photographing this little snack, I ate it.   Next time you are invited to a get-together,  bring these.  Picnic, brunch, dinner, concert, road trip, cabin weekend.  “Everybody loves Deviled Eggs,” is what people tend to say as they stuff their mouths full.  What I like is when they take a second one.

Laura’s Great-Grandmother’s Killer Deviled Eggs

• 6 hard cooked eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 3/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (the secret “killer” ingredient)
  • 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon horseradish, if desired (newly added ingredient after Laura tasted another family member’s rendition)
  • Kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste
  • Paprika for garnish

Cut eggs in half, scoop out yolks into a bowl, blend yolks with remaining ingredients.  Spread the mixture back into the egg halves, pile high.  Sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.  Makes 12 killer deviled eggs.

1 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious July 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Super easy, ALWAYS perfect hard-cooked eggs (with no green ring), in case you don’t have one of these little machines: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/shockinglydelicious-cooking-class-foolproof-hard-cooked-eggs/

2 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious July 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Good for July 4 or the other 364 days of the year. I could eat them ANY day!

3 Louise Joles December 16, 2011 at 8:30 am

I like to give my deviled eggs a devilish kick by adding finely diced pickled jalapenos. A whisper of red pepper flakes works too.

4 Worth The Whisk December 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Always happy to hear when someone scores a go-to recipe, thanks Karen.

5 Karen Guerra December 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Made these last night for my sewing group’s Christmas party. All gone by the time I left!

Thanks, Carole, for your tip for hard-cooked eggs, they were perfect.

This is now my go-to recipe for Deviled Eggs.

6 Kath March 30, 2010 at 9:03 am

Looks delish! I’m making deviled eggs for Easter. I always use Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and a bit of Tabasco.

7 bunkycooks March 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

Mr. Bunkycooks (as you have so named him!) loves deviled eggs. They remind me of barbecues and Summertime. Guess it’s time to start whipping some up!

8 The Duo Dishes March 30, 2010 at 8:48 am

Ooh, the Worcestershire is a good secret ingredient. Guess the secret’s out now!

9 Carole October 2, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Put water in pan to cover eggs by one inch. Bring to boil. Boil for 11 minutes. Remove, drain and cover with cold water to stop cooking. Drain.

10 Patti May 8, 2009 at 8:41 am

I use an electric egg cooker; here is my post on that: http://worththewhisk.com/2009/04/13/my-third-egg-cooker/

11 Josephine May 8, 2009 at 8:18 am

What is your preferred method for hard-cooked eggs? I just read about Julie Child’s method in the Food Network Magazine (which I love — have you seen it yet?), and it’s pretty involved. But I am going to try it since my baby loves yolks, and I want to give him the creamiest yolks possible.